I am new to Quicken. Does anyone have a preferred printer they use to print checks on 8.5x11 paper?

Does anyone have a preferred printer they use to print checks on 8.5x11 paper?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to ENTIRELY print checks ... including the MICR line?  Because Q only prints on the checks that info which would otherwise be hand-written.
    AND, you need "Q Compatible Checks" to print upon ... other products won't line up appropriately with Q's anticipated layout.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• dnlb17
    dnlb17 Member ✭✭
    Forgive my ignorance on this...I am not entirely sure what I need. I am trying to help set up an office for a user who will be using Quicken to manage his business so If Quicken cannot print the MICR line I assume that will be ok. When you sat "Q Compatible checks" is that special printing paper?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Normally - you order sheets of blank checks - just like a blank checkbook...

BUT - it already has pre-printed -
    - your company/personal info
    - and at the normal bottom location, for processing the checks
    --- your routing number + bank number
    ---- your account number
    ----- your pre-printed CHECK NUMBERS
    So, just like a normal paper check, all the info is pre-printed,
    and you just add the --- Payee, Date, Amount, Memo -
    When you physically print the checks from Quicken, you need to tell Quicken which check number to start printing.... by looking at the full sheet of paper checks that will be placed into the printer... either via tray or via manual slot mode.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have been happy with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. It's an all-in-one and does everything pretty well, including my favorite feature, duplex both in and out. I added the optional 2nd paper tray to hold my Quicken check stock. You do need to buy special pre-printed Quicken/Quickbooks checks. For this particular printer, because the paper goes in face down, I need to hand-invert the check stock so checks print in the right order.
    You might want to start off with a printer with 2 paper trays if you're planning on general-purpose use as well as check printing. The 8600 appears to be obsolete, but if you want the latest 'n' greatest, there's
    I can't personally vouch for this printer, but its feature set looks similar to mine.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11 sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs voucher checks are easiest to use.
    When considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed odd-size partial pages into your printer when making a purchase decision for a new supply of checks.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    @dnlb17 - you really need to find out how they will be using the checks, and therefore which ones to order, and how many printed in a session - and then what kind of printer -
    It is like asking ... what car do I need to get - without having any other info -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also - as I don't print checks, but have learned a few things from researching this thread... here is a link for some reading on ---> CHECK 21 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• dnlb17
    dnlb17 Member ✭✭
    Hey guys I will need to be able to print about 6 checks a week (3 at a time) on 8.5x11 paper. Very small volume. Does anyone have a recommendation for a preferred printer that can handle this?  Thanks in advance!
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dnlb17 ,

Yes, the Epson WF-2760 All in one, Wireless Printer, I own that Model.

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-WF-2750-Wireless-Printer-Replenishment/dp/B01DME4JBG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2YR5SOOSOQF3M&keywords=epson+wf-2760+all-in-one&qid=1556205330&refinements=p_89%3AEpson&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sprefix=Epson+wf-2760%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-2

Price today, April 25, 2019 is $49.99 for the Epson WF-2750. It is a Cassette style printer that holds the paper straight.

Printers that send paper in from the top, with only one Guide, feeds paper in crooked.
    Epson WF-2630 is one I purchased that feeds paper in crooked. I replaced it with an Epson WF-2760.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.