Reporting by invoice item (not category)

Quicken allows the user to create "items" on invoices and estimates.  Each item is assigned to a "category".  I have found no way to create or modify a report that will list (by transaction) or total 'items" across invoices.  As one would do in trying to track inventory or sales by "item". 

If I sell 10 types of widgets (each with an item name), for example, I can only get a total for all widgets (category).  Creating a subcategory for each type of widget becomes very cumbersome. Any suggestions?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you're asking is, fundamentally, an inventory question ... and H&B can't handle inventory. 
    You need to look at using Quickbooks, which can handle inventory, for your business.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TimHandyman
    TimHandyman Member ✭✭
    It isn't just an inventory question, I just used that example.  Why allow 'items" on invoices if there is no way to quantify their use?  If one had a Labor item (or even category) with an hourly rate, and entered number of hours and hourly rate on the invoice, there is no way I have found to see or to track total hours or average hourly rate across transactions (invoices).  Quicken Home and Business/Property version, at minimum, should be able to do this if they want to hold onto their business users.  Otherwise, yes, QuickBooks is definitely better choice for businesses
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    H&B is intended for Sole Proprietors who don't have employees and don't have "Inventory" (that they buy at one price and sell at another).
    H&B is, simply, not intended for what you want.  Try QB.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.