Dropped Passwords

I am running Version 5.11.0 (Build 511.25626.100) on MacOS 10.14.4. Quicken repeatedly drops username and password information used when automatically updating accounts. I have reported issue several times and no reply. I have re-setup auto update several times to no avail. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Michael,

Is this happening for multiple financial institutions?

Can you hold the 'Option' key and select the file name along the top and tell us the file path?

This can happen if the file is saved to a cloud or network drive.

Let us know!

~~~***~~~
  • Michael227
    Michael227 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I am checking the keychain box.

• Michael227
    Michael227 Member ✭✭

Quicken-Tyka: Seems to only happen to a specific account with Vanguard. I have another account with Vanguard it does not happen to. Not understanding the "path" related instructions above.

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael said:
    ... I have another account with Vanguard it does not happen to. ...
    Are these two Vanguard accounts using separate username and password?
    Or are the two accounts accessed under one signon username.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Michael227
    Michael227 Member ✭✭
    Ihossus: Separate accounts with different username/passwords.
  • lhossus
    Does the stored username and password for the account where you say "Quicken repeatedly drops username and password information ..." ever get used for the automatic account updates (i. e., no prompt), and then fail in a subsequent update?

Or does the automatic update ALWAYS request username and password?
  • Michael227
    Michael227 Member ✭✭
    Ihossus: Actually had both experiences. Fine for a while, then on an Auto Update it requires me to re-enter username/password. Then ok for a while and it will do it again. Currently it is a daily event over the last 3-5 days.
  • lhossus
    Seems like it might be a problem with Vanguard's server. Perhaps a timing issue. Perhaps the two separate signons sometimes confuse Vanguard if too close together.

I am wondering if a look in the Logs of Quicken would reveal more detail of the failure. Might be in the OFXLog.txt, but could be in the ConnLog.txt. It would be interesting to determine if this is a failure to log in to Vanguard, or if Quicken actually lost the username/password.

You could inspect the record in the Keychain to see if it is present, and valid. Open the application Keychain Access and search for records with the string "Quicken password". a) Examine the value after "for customer" in the record, and b) click on the Show password box and be sure a password is present.

I wonder how this would behave if you first performed an Update Selected Online Account for the affected account before performing the usual Update All Online Accounts. Does the Update Selected fail when there is a valid record in the Keychain?

What happens if you perform two Update Selected Online Account actions for the failing account, back to back?

Sorry I don't have a magic bullet. Just trying to narrow down the problem. Just making suggestion of things that might reveal more insight.
  • Michael227
    Michael227 Member ✭✭
    Ihossus: All good points. I am going to disconnect the "lesser" Vanguard account and only try Auto Updates using one Vanguard account for a while to see what happens. Thanks for your input/suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.