stock options quicken mac premiere 2019

Lakedaisy
Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
I've asked this question a couple times year or two ago, but can't seem to find it.

Qmac doesn't handle buying/selling Stock Options.  I enter bad data then you can't remove the Security. 

As an example I have purchased an Option "SHOP Jul 19 2019 175 Call" a couple times.  Next I sold all Contracts.  This same problem is recurring.  I download transactions.  The first problem is it downloads as 'Buy to Cover' rather than the correct 'Sell.'  Qwin downloads the info correctly. 

I enter the Sell of 200 shares. I had previously purchased 100 shares on two occasions. So I own 200 shares. Now I sell 200 shares, go to Specify Shares. I can only sell 2 shares. I have 198 unassigned shares.  Specify Shares shows I only own 1 share for each purchase.  

I search for the option in all accounts. This shows I purchased 100 two time. And I sold 200 shares.  Hmm.  I have 200 shares but can only sell 2 shares.  There are no Placeholders for the missing 198 shares.

Okay. I delete all transactions for this option (with plans to manually reenter.) Next I go to Securities and try to delete the Option. Can't delete in because it's in use.  I search all accounts again.  The Option isn't listed.   Can't delete it, can't correct it.

I've asked Qmac to correct this problem, but they aren't interested. Any suggestions?

Quicken user since 1986

Answers

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hello Lakedaisy. Appreciate your question.

It appears to be an issue on when the initial shares were entered into Quicken..

Can you provide a screen shot of your current Brokerage setup for these shares? You can block out any private information: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

I tried to run this with just a open stock option and was able to get the shares to show properly when added and then when stocks were sold, it shows the cash value and the number of shares left:

Please provide us more information on this issue so that we best assist you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    Harold, you show buy/sell of a Stock not an Option.  My image below shows the purchase/sell of an Option.

See the example below.  This is what usually happens with Options.

Some of the Option problems has been corrected over time, but not all problems.

1) sometimes when I buy an option and download it, it will come in as 2 shares other times it comes in correctly at 200 shares (actually 2 contracts.)  Same applies when I sell shares.  Sometimes 2 sometimes 200. Qwin has always downloaded correctly.

2) when I sell an option it is downloaded incorrectly as 'Buy to Cover'  (and I must override this with 'Sell') which should only occur if I had sold an option to begin with then later bought it back to cover original sell. Qwin downloads correctly.

3) So, the problem in my example below as was stated in my original question.   cut "I enter the Sell of 200 shares. I had previously purchased 100 shares on two occasions. So I own 200 shares. Now I sell 200 shares, go to Specify Shares. I can only sell 2 shares. I have 198 unassigned shares.  Specifically Shares shows I only own 1 share for each purchase."

4) Since there is no Placeholder to correct the problem, the only way I've found to correct the problem is to:
       1) delete all three transactions
       2) delete the security from 'Securities'
       3) manually reenter the three transactions

5) Occasionally I can't delete the security from 'Securities' as 'Securities' tells me there are still options connected to the security.  I know there isn't as I search the entire database for the security and none appears. Still I can't delete it as Qmac thinks I still own these options.

6) When I have the problem of 5) above, the only recourse I've found it to restore the previous backup, delete all transactions for this security, then delete the security from 'Securities'. This works.  I then reenter everything. 

Quicken user since 1986
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Lakedaisy

Thank you for providing that additional information and I apologize that the issue was misunderstood originally.

I took the liberty of searching our internal support system and located the Report a Problem submissions sent in regarding this issue.

I reviewed the attached logs, transaction data and attempted to replicate this scenario in my Quicken for Mac data file and found a few things.

I imported the OFX Log data into my data file, and when the transaction data imported, a placeholder did appear which contained the necessary details to enter the transactions correctly.

However, we also discovered an issue where QMac is incorrectly calculating the cost per share based on the total transaction price which could be attributing to the "unassigned shares" issue overall.

I imported the same OFX data into the Windows version of Quicken and confirmed that QWin enters the transactions details exactly as sent by the Brokerage and doesn't re-calculate the cost based on the price per share which is probably the difference in how the same transactions are treated between the two separate versions of Quicken.

I would like to escalate this to our Development Teams for further investigation and resolution, however the most recent Report a Problem submission I was able to locate for you was sent in October of 2018 so I would like to gather more recent log files to include with the ticket to Development.

Please go to the Help menu in Quicken and submit another Report a Problem submission, entering "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can locate the report in the system.

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Sarah.  Thank you. I've been trying to get Quicken to fix the problem in QMac for at least a couple years.  You are the first to acknowledge there's actually a problem. I didn't see a subject line on the Report a Problem.  So I put Attn: Sarah in the 'Please describe the issue box.' Let me know if that works or doesn't.   If I can provide any additional info pls let me know as there are still Option errors in my portfolio I haven't bother to correct.  Mostly where Qmac says I have 2 shares  and no placeholder for the other 198 missing shares and I can't delete the Option Symbol from Securities as Qmac says I still have shares after deleting the purchase of the 2 (actually 200) shares.   
    Quicken user since 1986
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Lakedaisy,

Thank you very much for submitting the requested information, I have located the report and opened a ticket with Development to research this matter further.

If more information is needed either myself or a member of the Development team will be in further contact.  In the meantime, please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns that we can assist with.

Thanks again,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.