Simple Expense Report Showing Year To Date Actual vs. Annual Budget By Category

Quicken 2019 - Is there a way to create a YTD report that shows 3 columns - Category,  YTD Spending, and Annual Budget Amount for the category?  

I want to compare year to date spending against an entire years budgeted amount and have not been able to figure out how to do this.  The standard budget report shows Category, YTD Spending, and YTD budget amount for that category, but I like to see how much of the entire yearly budget has been spent.    Is this available, and I just have not figured out how to do it?  I guess I could put the entire annual budgeted amount into January, and run their standard YTD budget report, but that seems strange to have to do that.  I wish there was a way just do annual budgets, rather than having to specify  amounts for each month for each category.

Best Answers

Answers

• Tim Theisen
    Tim Theisen Member ✭✭
    Wow - this is exactly what I am looking for!  I had no idea "Historical" would give me this type of report.   Thanks!  

A follow on question, if that is allowed ... do you know if there is a way to create a budget with just entering an annual amount instead of an amount for each month for each category.  Maybe I should post another question for that, or maybe that has already been answered. I am a bit of a novice on asking questions here.   Thanks again.  

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    "I had no idea 'Historical' would give me this type of report."

You can produce the same results in the Spending > Current Budget report.

Set the Date Range to Yearly, the Interval to None (or Year), and choose the Budget Year of interest.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tim Theisen
    Tim Theisen Member ✭✭
    Inmshiggins said:
    From C. D. Bales:
    "I had no idea 'Historical' would give me this type of report."

You can produce the same results in the Spending > Current Budget report.

Set the Date Range to Yearly, the Interval to None (or Year), and choose the Budget Year of interest.

I tried this, and at first I didn't think it worked because I see all the columns of months (even though I made the settings Yearly  like  you specified) but then realized that if I scroll over to the right all the way it shows the annual totals to the right of all the months columns. Thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get the annual-only display in the Current Budget report, you have to click on the gear at the top right to customize it, and on the Display tab next to Column, pick None.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tim Theisen
    Tim Theisen Member ✭✭
    Your note is what I was missing ... I made my window wider, and now I see the Interval field.  Thanks all! 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In QWin 2019, when I open the stock Current Budget report the Interval option is not visible because the report window is too narrow.

I now see that widening the window makes the inverval option visible, and it defaults to Month. Changing that to None gives the desired result.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.