I have a 401k @ Principal.com but there is no means to link it to Quicken Subcription 2019 Deluxe

I was able to add Principal as an investment account but I was not able to link it so as to update the value of my account for that mutual fund. I called Principal and they stated it is possible but they did not know how to do it. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• cancorn1960
    cancorn1960 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The detail screen @ Principal does not reflect the register for the same account on Quicken so the balance is not the same. I either messed it up at account creation or the Quicken program can not compute the accounting needed for what Principal downloads. I like the way bank and credit accounts populate and reconcile but with this investment I think I will just keep putting in a rounded amount in to track net worth and treads. Thanks to all you folks that reached out to help brain storm this issue.  :)

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What steps have you attempted that did not work? Principal.com is listed as a Direct Connect provider, so the connection should work.
  • cancorn1960
    cancorn1960 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I click on update quote and I get an update of the transactions but there is not an update to the actual value of my account . btw I tried clicking on update transactions and that did nothing, my mistake

• cancorn1960
    cancorn1960 Member ✭✭
    I tried clicking some of the reconcile lines, update shares and update cash balance but that does not update the current value (cash value) either. I have been manually login and getting the most recent value and plugging that number into the register.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the value of the account is simply the number of shares of each investment multiplied by the quote for that investment (where Cash is also considered to be an investment).
    So, what piece of the puzzle are you missing?  Have you created those Mutual Fund securities in Q?  Are you downloading quotes for them, are you downloading the number of shares for them?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• cancorn1960
    cancorn1960 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The detail screen @ Principal does not reflect the register for the same account on Quicken so the balance is not the same. I either messed it up at account creation or the Quicken program can not compute the accounting needed for what Principal downloads. I like the way bank and credit accounts populate and reconcile but with this investment I think I will just keep putting in a rounded amount in to track net worth and treads. Thanks to all you folks that reached out to help brain storm this issue.  :)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife's 403b account (i.e., a 401k for a non-profit employer) shows mutual funds that have the same name as Retail funds .... but they aren't the same product and they have different share prices.
    See if that's the case in your situation.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, for any particular security (if you hold more than 1 in the account) do the number of shares agree between the website and Q?

This discussion has been closed.