Interest on investment not showing in Net Worth? Quicken 2017 Ver 4.8.4

QuickPeter
QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
I've just manually posted a significant amount of interest on one of our cash savings investments.
It has not shown up in Net Worth.
Any ideas please?

Thanks,   QuickPeter

Best Answers

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    RickO,  "Okay, let's see if I understand so far. You have transaction that is properly reflected in its account's Today's Balance. That Today's Balance matches what's shown for that account's balance in the sidebar. Yet the amount of the transition is missing from the Net Worth at the bottom of the sidebar? Is that correct?"

Yes, that's correct. 
    By the way, I'm not comparing with the Net Worth Over Time report.

However, I've just realised that its almost certain that I've made a silly mistake.

I believe I've taken the Net Worth figure in the sidebar which already included my posted interest payment then, added the interest payment again.  
    I was trying to reconcile the Quicken Net Worth with this figure, which is clearly wrong.

I've added up the 15 or so sub-elements (accounts?) making up the three main elements comprising "Banking" group in the sidebar namely Cash, Savings and Credit Card.
    I get the same "Banking" total as Quicken is showing, as you would expect.

So I'm content Quicken is handling my transaction correctly.  My mistake.

I'm sorry to have caused you to spend time on this.
    But I have discovered the Net Worth Over Time report which I was unaware of until now and note your advice on included and excluded transactions.

Thanks again RickO

QuickPeter

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The problem seems to have cleared itself?
    Everything is now in sync
    That is to say, the "Net Worth" figure at the bottom of the side-bar is changing when test postings are made to my savings account, NS&I Direct Saver.

I don’t understand why everything is working now, but I don’t care really.

Thanks to everyone who considered and responded.

QuickPeter

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Is it showing up in that account's balance? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Hello RickO, it's great to hear from you.
    Yes, it is showing up in both the Projected and Today's account balance, 
    I've never had this Net Worth updating problem before, strange.

QuickPeter
  • RickO
    Does the Today's Balance for that account match the account value shown in the sidebar?
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    Does the Today's Balance for that account match the account value shown in the sidebar?
    RickO, yes it does.   QuickPeter
  • RickO
    Okay, let's see if I understand so far. You have transaction that is properly reflected in its account's Today's Balance. That Today's Balance matches what's shown for that account's balance in the sidebar. Yet the amount of the transition is missing from the Net Worth at the bottom of the sidebar? Is that correct?

This would seem to indicate that individual account values in the sidebar, when added up, do not equal the Net Worth total at the bottom. I don't see how that would be possible.

SO.... are you comparing to the Net Worth Over Time report? If so, here's what's likely going on. The NWOT report works on only FULL months. One generated today with time "This Month" would include transactions through the end of April. The Today's Balance, however, is only up to today. But here's the thing... the NWOT report INCLUDES all transactions in the month, except it EXCLUDES scheduled transactions that have not been marked as paid. This can lead to discrepancies between the value the NWOT report shows for account vs. the running register balance on the last day of the month.

Does that explain what you're seeing?
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    RickO,  "Okay, let's see if I understand so far. You have transaction that is properly reflected in its account's Today's Balance. That Today's Balance matches what's shown for that account's balance in the sidebar. Yet the amount of the transition is missing from the Net Worth at the bottom of the sidebar? Is that correct?"

Yes, that's correct. 
    By the way, I'm not comparing with the Net Worth Over Time report.

However, I've just realised that its almost certain that I've made a silly mistake.

I believe I've taken the Net Worth figure in the sidebar which already included my posted interest payment then, added the interest payment again.  
    I was trying to reconcile the Quicken Net Worth with this figure, which is clearly wrong.

I've added up the 15 or so sub-elements (accounts?) making up the three main elements comprising "Banking" group in the sidebar namely Cash, Savings and Credit Card.
    I get the same "Banking" total as Quicken is showing, as you would expect.

So I'm content Quicken is handling my transaction correctly.  My mistake.

I'm sorry to have caused you to spend time on this.
    But I have discovered the Net Worth Over Time report which I was unaware of until now and note your advice on included and excluded transactions.

Thanks again RickO

QuickPeter

• RickO
    Are you saying the NW in the sidebar did not change, the transaction is NOT future dated, and the running balance as of today's date DID change? If so, then that sure seems like something broken and you'd need to contact support.

However, if the running balance is also not updating, then you may have an automatic balance adjustment transaction in the register. Search the register for "balance adjustment" and see if you see one in gray. Those will automatically adjust to keep the balance at some historical point correct. You can simply delete it and replace it with the appropriate manual balance adjustment transaction.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, thanks a lot for staying with me on this one.

"Are you saying the NW in the sidebar did not change, the transaction is NOT future dated, and the running balance as of today's date DID change? If so, then that sure seems like something broken and you'd need to contact support."

Yes, that's it and when you say "the running balance as of today's date DID change" do you mean the "Today's Balance" at the top right corner of our screens?
    If so, that definitely changed.

In the meantime, I'll do the <Search the register for "balance adjustment" > as you advise.
    Is this procedure just the "Search all available columns" box with the magnifying glass also at the trhc of our screens?

QuickPeter
  • RickO
    I was referring the number in the balance column in the register with the register unfiltered and sorted by date. This number should match the Today's Balance in the upper right corner EXEPT that any overdue scheduled transactions that have not been marked as paid WILL be reflected in the running balance but WILL NOT be reflected in the Today's Balance.

In any case, the Today's Balance should always be the same as the number next to the account in the sidebar, ASSUMING that you have set Show Today's Balance in the sidebar settings. Come to think of it, that may be the source of your issue. Click the three dot (...) icon at the top of the sidebar and verify that "Show Today's Balance in the Sidebar" and not one of the other two options. This could be your issue.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    RickO, I'm afraid I've still got the problem :(

I did a quick test this morning and posted a duplicate interest received transaction.  The Net Worth figure in the side-bar did not change.
    I've just noticed that Ianslie? Jan 2018 started a thread on the Mac Windows forum
    "Net Worth report is still wrong"Can you see the thread?

They are having similar problems, although it seems to be mainly with the Net Worth Report.

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, "I was referring the number in the balance column in the register ..."
    Ok got it.  
    It is moving nicely in sync with Today's Balance.

"Click the three dot (...) icon "
    Nope  :-(
    "Show Today's Balance in side bar" was already ticked, as are all my other accounts.

When I post payments and deposits to my other accounts, the Net Worth in the sidebar decreases or increases as you would expect.

Maybe it has something to do with how I set up the account that I'm posting the interest payment too?  Are there any other "settings" I can check.

By the way, when you said <Search the register for "balance adjustment" >  earlier, I did that and got nothing.
    But that is because as its a new (Banking/Savings) account I've only got three entries.  A nominal £1 opening entry, the main very large deposit and the interest payment we're focussing on.

QuickPeter

RickO said:
    I was referring the number in the balance column in the register with the register unfiltered and sorted by date. This number should match the Today's Balance in the upper right corner EXEPT that any overdue scheduled transactions that have not been marked as paid WILL be reflected in the running balance but WILL NOT be reflected in the Today's Balance.

In any case, the Today's Balance should always be the same as the number next to the account in the sidebar, ASSUMING that you have set Show Today's Balance in the sidebar settings. Come to think of it, that may be the source of your issue. Click the three dot (...) icon at the top of the sidebar and verify that "Show Today's Balance in the Sidebar" and not one of the other two options. This could be your issue.

• RickO
    So, you are saying that the sidebar is set to show Today's Balance, yet the number next to the account in the sidebar does not match the Today's Balance at the register top right? I know of no reason that should be. If that's what you're seeing, I think you need to contact support.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, I've been looking from a response from you to me last post but seem to have lost the track of this thread somehow.
    Would you mind posting your last post together with my last post.
    Many thanks.
    My problem remains unresolved i.e. Net Worth figure in side bar not changing to reflect posting activity in register on only one Banking/Savings account.

Thanks,   QuickPeter
  • RickO
    If you are working strictly in email, you may need to click over to the forum website to see all the posts.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, ok but that does not help so I think I'll just start a new thread after the Easter break.
    I hope you see it and can respond.

Thanks,  QuickPeter
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @QuickPeter Instead of covering the same ground again (and asking folks like RickO to repeat their work to try to help you), I'd encourage you to find the original thread -- because it's easy to do. Click on the avatar to the left of your name above. On your profile screen you'll see...

That shows that you have posted 105 comments in 25 different discussions on the site. Click on Discussions and it will show you all 25 of them. They're in descending order of the latest comment, and it looks like only three are from this year -- so it should be pretty easy for you to find the one you're looking for. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs, ok thanks that’s helpful and I’ll try it.

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    [removed]

I'm not giving up on it and have had a thought.

The other accounts I have in Banking/Savings are working fine.
    That is to say, debits and credits are being immediately reflected in the Net Worth figure at the bottom of the home summary screen sidebar.

I think I'll replicate the Bank/Savings account that is giving me the trouble.
    I won't delete the troublesome account just yet.
    Is that worth a try?

QuickPeter

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just manually posted a significant amount of interest on one of our cash savings investments.
    It has not shown up in Net Worth.
    Any ideas please?

Thanks,   QuickPeter
    Have you ever showed us the transactions in question, for us to verify that you have correctly recorded and categorized them?
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of the webpage. At the top of the text entry window  you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    UKR, thank you very much for this detailed procedure.  Very heplful.

Please see attached screen-shot.

I'm a little uneasy posting it here as i hope you'll appreciate, financial security etc. but I do understand why you and the others need to see it in order to help me.

As i said earlier, the "Net Worth" figure at the bottom of the side-bar is not changing as you would expect it too when postings are made to the NS&I Direct Saver.  For example if I post a deposit of £100 nothing happens to Net Worth, but "Project Balance" at the top right hand corner does change correctly.  The NS&I Direct Saver balance in the side-bar also changes in sync.

QuickPeter
    btw to whoever it concerns, thanks for re-opening my original thread.  It's appreciated.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The problem seems to have cleared itself?
    Everything is now in sync
    That is to say, the "Net Worth" figure at the bottom of the side-bar is changing when test postings are made to my savings account, NS&I Direct Saver.

I don’t understand why everything is working now, but I don’t care really.

Thanks to everyone who considered and responded.

QuickPeter
This discussion has been closed.