Page scaling options greyed out when trying to print to Canon Color imageCLASS MF634Cdw

I used to be able to scale reports when printing to 1 page wide by X pages tall. When I select my printer, all page scaling options are greyed out. If I print to a PDF and then print the PDF, it will work. However that is cumbersome. My printer is a Canon Color imageCLASS MF634Cdw. The driver that it installs is labelled "Canon MF632C/634C UFR II V4". I used to be able to do this with my previous HP printer and I believe it worked when I first got the Canon printer. Not sure if this is a printer/driver issue or a Quicken issue. Is anyone else having this issue and if so have you solved it?
Thanks,
Hank
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried going to the Canon website to see if there's an updated driver for your printer?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Hank Sutherland
    Hank Sutherland Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have the most recent driver. [removed]  Will Quicken work with UFR drivers vs. PCL drivers?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    It can't hurt to try the PCL driver. Quicken just uses the Windows printer.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how this worked in the past, but in R19.44 the page scaling options are grayed out in Quicken's report print dialog for all my printers. 

I can click on Properties for my main printer (an HP LaserJet M402 using HP's driver) and set the scaling there. This affects the printed pages but not Quicken's print preview. Unfortunately it looks like it scales the print on each page but does not repaginate the way it would from Quicken.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Hank Sutherland
    I know this used to work with the HP printer I had previously (replaced in October, 2017). I am pretty sure that it also used to work with the Canon printer I have now (Canon Color imageCLASS MF634Cdw). I got that printer in February, 2018. So something has changed in the last year. Either something in Quicken or in the printer drivers. If others are also having this issue with other printers, it points to a Quicken issue.

My workaround is to print to PDF which will scale and then print the PDF, a cumbersome process.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, I tried this on Quicken Subscription R18.16 and Quicken 2017 and it's greyed out in both versions. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    "Is anyone else having this issue ...."?

Yes, quite a few others have the issue (and for many years).
    https://community.quicken.com/search?Page=&adv=&author=&cat=all&comment_answer=1&comment_c=1&date=&discussion_d=1&discussion_question=1&search=page+scal
    ing&tags=&title=&within=1+day

" ... and if so have you solved it?"

If the problem is not related to your specific printer, I believe you have
    already found the only "solution".

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hank Sutherland ,
    what is the real issue here?
    "Scaling" the page of a report, in other words, make it larger or smaller than 100% is a function of the printer properties. Quicken just simply generates a page in a, I would call it, "generic" format that fits all printers.
    So, based on the settings of your selected printer, does Quicken generate a page of sufficient size? Or is it too small or too large to fit on the page size you're actually printing? Are your printer properties set to properly default to, e.g., 8.5*11" standard paper? Printers who are trying to auto-detect the page size and default to photo printing or some other page size may give you a problem.
    Also ensure that, in Windows, you have defined a "default printer", even if it's a different printer from the one you actually are using.
  • Hank Sutherland
    If I create a report for last years expenses by category by month, I end up with a 10 page report. The first five pages are all categories for the months January through August and the last five pages are for all categories for the remaining months plus the total. Trying to print budget vs. actual reports is even worse. I used to be able to use the page scaling to reduce the font size so that in the example above I end up with a 5 page report. I believe that all of my printer properties are set properly (e.g. standard letter paper, etc.)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I generate a Spending by Category report, with my printer set to Letter size paper (8.5*11") and Landscape mode selected, I can get 9 columns on a page. Margins are set to 0.5" all the way around the page (can't go any lower). See below:
    Changing the printer's properties to Legal size paper (8.5*14), all 12 monthly columns fit on one page.
    That's the best I can do using a "real" printer.
    The Quicken PDF Printer is the only one that I have available on my computer which allows me to use the Page scaling options that you are looking for. Using that printer I can fit the columns for the entire year on 1 page wide, landscape, letter size ... wouldn't do my old eyes any good, though, trying to read this tiny font ...
  • Qablooie
    Qablooie Member
    I too have the same problem as first mentioned in this thread... with the Canon MF733cdw. This didn't use to be a problem. The print scaling option is only available using the Quicken PDF printer but not available with Microsoft PDF printer or Adobe PDF. In the preview window the report only takes up about 60% of the available page width and height and the margins are set to .5" VERY frustrating. I hope they fix this soon!
  • Qablooie
    Qablooie Member
    Try as I might with different scaling options and fonts size, below is what it is 'stuck' displayed as:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qablooie said:
    Try as I might with different scaling options and fonts size, below is what it is 'stuck' displayed as:
    When you print to paper, does it print like that or does it correctly print a full page with proper sizes and margins?
    There have been many discussions here about a display issue: Depending on your Quicken version and the screen resolution and magnification settings, the preview display does not fit to size correctly, but it prints a correctly sized report to paper or file.
This discussion has been closed.