Quicken won't open after I installed R19.44 on Mac (Win7 + Parallels)

I have been using Quicken for Windows for over 10 years on an iMac using Parallels 14 and Windows 7. I downloaded the R19.44 update last week and Quicken stopped opening. It will try to open with normal opening data and then crashes. I have uninstalled Quicken using UIClean and re-installed. I have also upgraded my Win 7 OS to Win 10. No effect. Spent two hours on the phone with support who could not find the problem. When Windows event log is viewed, shows as a .NET Runtime error 1026. I need this program. Please help.

Best Answer

• rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    Answer ✓
    With Quicken's tech support, I was able to reach a temporary solution to the problem. After downloading some updates for Windows 10 and re-allocating some resources to my Windows VM, we were able to re-install Quicken and allow it to update to R19.44. It opened a couple of times and worked fine. Then on the 3rd or 4th opening it crashed again and again. We then re-installed Quicken with internet disconnected - this results in R14.23 being installed, which for my purposes is fully functional and according Quicken not that dated. Quicken acknowledged that this experience revealed some additional issues with R19.44 which he thought they would correct in a soon-to-be-released further patch - either a R19.45 or R19.44.1
    Thanks for everyone's help.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Quicken Inc. has not communicated well that 19.44 has a significant code change in that it removes .NET dependence. Unfortunately, this has had some downstream negative affects.
    I would suggest reverting back to 18.16 and wait until this code change gets sorted. You can find 18.16 link here.
  • rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    Tried to run 18.16 patch and got message, "Your need membership to perform the requested action." Uninstalled Quicken using UIClean, re-executed Quicken install program with internet disconnected, tried to re-run 18.16 and go same message. Tried to open Quicken - won't open.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you download a fresh copy of the Quicken installation program? If so, I would guess there's something corrupt in your Windows installation. Maybe you can try creating a new Windows 10 VM. You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create the installation media.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    Downloaded/installed fresh copy of quicken and ran 18.16 patch. Same message as above. Won't revert. I think that's what is needed is to be able to roll back to pre 19.44 but don't know how.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    After you download the Quicken installation file, you should disconnect your VM from the Internet so Quicken doesn't try to update itself. You should install Quicken and then the R18.16 Mondo patch with no Internet access.
  • rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    Installed quicken with VM disconnected. Then clicked on 18.16 to install while disconnected. Again got message, "Your need membership to perform the requested action." Not sure what this means or how to get around.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Can you post a screenshot of the error message? Have you tried creating another Windows Administrator user and using that account to install the Mondo patch?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Membership --> Quicken User ID login ?
    and...Quicken installer problem, Windows Problem, Parallels Problem, Mac problem -
    ???
    [edited topic to better reflect issues]

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    Ran mondo patch from an existing admin account.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried creating another Windows Administrator user and using that account to install the Mondo patch?
  • rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    ---------------------------
    Error
    Your need membership to perform the requested action.
    OK
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    I went through this very detailed procedure and am still having the same issue. My version data is as follows:
    Quicken 2019 for Windows Premier R27.1.19.44 - USA
    Windows 10 Home 32-bit running on iMac as a VM using Parallels 14
    Original problem experienced with Windows 7 so upgraded to Windows 10 three days ago. Still experiencing problem.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would guess there's something corrupt in your Windows installation. Maybe you can try creating a new Windows 10 VM. You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create the installation media.
  • rleesimpson
    rleesimpson Member
    Answer ✓
    With Quicken's tech support, I was able to reach a temporary solution to the problem. After downloading some updates for Windows 10 and re-allocating some resources to my Windows VM, we were able to re-install Quicken and allow it to update to R19.44. It opened a couple of times and worked fine. Then on the 3rd or 4th opening it crashed again and again. We then re-installed Quicken with internet disconnected - this results in R14.23 being installed, which for my purposes is fully functional and according Quicken not that dated. Quicken acknowledged that this experience revealed some additional issues with R19.44 which he thought they would correct in a soon-to-be-released further patch - either a R19.45 or R19.44.1
    Thanks for everyone's help.
This discussion has been closed.