Quicken 5.11 (subscription) now crashes in Apple's WebKit after Mojave 10.14.5 update

Immediately on Quicken startup, the app starts to put up a WebKit content window to ask for me to do an online login, flashes login fields twice, and app crashes with a segment fault. Was working perfectly before I upgraded my Mac from Mojave 10.14 to 10.14.5 (and incidentally installed the new Xcode 11 beta with ScriptUI).
Have deleted Quicken.com cookies from Safari cache to no avail. Still get login crash.
What's incompatible?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Mike,

To make sure I'm understanding, are you experiencing crashing when you are prompted to sign in with the Quicken ID?

If so, I would go to the Mac Apple > Preferences > Security & Privacy and check to see if the firewall is on.

If that isn't the user, you may look at creating a new admin to test and see if you can open Quicken on the new admin.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-mtusr001/mac

This would rule out if this issue is with the update itself or if installing the update has caused some issue with the admin.

Hope this helps!

~~~***~~~
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    Sorry, creating another admin user, logging in as same, and starting Quicken 5.11.0 failed with only minor variation from earlier. Here's what I did and results:
    1. Note that I'm running a PATCHED version of Mojave 10.14.5 on an UNSUPPORTED MacBook Pro 4,1 (early 2008), but this same machine ran Quicken just fine with a PATCHED 10.14.0.
    2. Created a new admin user, Quicken Tester, rebooted and logged in as QT.
    3. Started Quicken, got a "new user" splash screen. Clicked Continue.
    4. Got the same sequence as before:
    a. Quicken login window appeared with login fields displayed for a fraction of a second.
    b. Window went blank white.
    c. Login fields appeared again, for a fraction of a second.
    d. Window went blank white.
    e. This time the app didn't crash (as before), it just hung.

I can look at Activity Monitor and see if there are any Quicken processes hanging around. I can also see if I can capture the crash report and send it to you.

Next step?

Thanks,

Mike
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    FYI, here's the associated Crash Report.

HTH,

Mike

PS: What file formats are allowed as attachments here? .crash, .text, .txt and .zip don't seem to work? I'll send you the file as an attachment to your email msg.
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    Looks like I'm not alone. Here's someone who ran into the same problem using an UNSUPPORTED Mac: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/27445872/
    But the solution for me may be different. In particular, I am fully up-to-date on all patches.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Mike, this may not be the best place for posting crash data (or rather, getting support for a crashing problem. You may need to reach out to Quicken Support to get them to capture information to pass to the development team.

One question: have you tried launching Quicken by holding down the Shift key? This causes Quicken to launch without opening your existing data file (it will ask if you want to open it, and you should click Cancel). Same result or different?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    Jacob,

Thanks for the suggestion. No appreciable difference with starting Quicken with the shift key down. It still want to do an online login for me ==> WebKit crash.

Mike
  • jacobs
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what's going on. All I can tell you is that I have 10.14.5 on one of my two Macs, and it launches Quicken without a hitch. (Although I haven't needed to re-login to Quicken's servers in quite a while, so maybe I just haven't encountered what you're running into.)

Do you have a different browser on your computer which you could temporarily make your default browser, to see if that changes anything. That is, if your regular browser is Safari, and if you have Chrome or Firefox on your Mac, go to System Preferences > General and change your browser to Chrome (or visa versa). Then try launching Quicken again and see if anything different happens when it tries to generate the login screen it sounds like it's choking on. If it works with the alternate browser, you can switch back to your regular default browser and try clearing your caches.
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    Jacob, will try setting my default browser to other than Safari. Would be surprised if that makes a difference, because I don't think the Quicken online login uses a browser. I think it starts up its own process, which uses WebKit components in its window.
    Will let you know.

Mike
  • jacobs
    Mike, you might be right...  I was just looking for things to do to try to isolate the problem. Since it's not affecting everyone (most people?) using 10.14.5, it's just a matter to trying to figure out "what's different here".
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    Tried two versions of Safari and one of Firefox as default browser. No difference wrt Quicken startup. Still fails.
  • jacobs
    Oh well, I’m out of ideas to try. I assume you also verified that you don’t have a firewall turned on, as suggested by Quicken Tyka earlier? (You didn’t mention it in your subsequent reply.) I think it may be time to contact Quicken Support. (Phone support, so they can do a screen share to see exactly what you’re seeking.) Please report back once you have a resolution.
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    UPDATE: This bug apparently occurs only in macOS Mojave 14.5, not in Mojave 14.0, nor in Catalina beta 4. So it looks like it may be specific to the WebKit version in 14.5.
    HTH,
    Mike
  • jacobs
    @Mike Wirth Have you tried downloading the version 5.11.2 patch Quicken recently released? It fixes a specific crashing issue some users were having. It may or may not affect the one you are describing.
  • Mike Wirth
    Mike Wirth Member ✭✭
    Tried the 5.11.2 update. Doesn't fix this bug.
    PS: It was fun to try it. Had to reboot into Mojave 14.0 so I could get Quicken running long enough to install the update, then back to 14.5 to test it :-)
This discussion has been closed.