Continuing reversion to Error Report Tool

Since doing the File Menu-> Backup and Restore option that always has been sucessful, I had an Error Report Tool after attempting to load my working file with the message "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run". I have filed a report and never got a response. I am basically lost due to multiple attempts to restore backups that persistently fail with the same problem. I use a couple of different backup and restore applications that restore my Quicken files, but this has not worked either. Can someone please help me?

Comments

• jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    Does anyone recommend a Clean Install of Quicken?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your 1st graphic, you appear to be backing up to the cloud ... and your firewall is preventing that.
    Have you checked your firewall settings.
    AND, what "cloud" are you backing up to?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    I have been successfully backing up Quicken for a long time without any issues. No known firewall issues have prevented these previous backups Thanks for your advice but I don't think this is the real issue. I can't open Quicken without getting an Error Report Tool dialog window after attempting to load my working file with the message "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run". Could I possibly uninstall and reinstall Quicken because it has been corrupted by a non-disk memory issue? If so please provide a link on the best way to manage this procedure.
  • jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    To markus1957, I am new to the use of QcleanUI.exe application. Should this tool only be used if a standard uninstall of Quicken has been unsuccessful?
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    No, it's meant to clean up remnants of old installations. Your screenshot shows a 2015 error window and you are running QW19. Don't neglect the folder renaming/deletion called for in the instructions.
  • jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    Also to markus1957, the second link you have provided to Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows has a dropdown stating that "The Validate process in this article should only be used when experiencing one or more of the following issues:...". I am not experiencing any of these issues. If I can't even open Quicken without this reversion to the Error Reporting Tool, then I can't really do this suggested fix. Thanks for attempting to provide a solution.
  • markus1957
    If you hold the Ctrl key down while opening Quicken, this bypasses opening the file on startup and allows running a validation on the file.  
  • jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    To markus1957, I ran into a snag trying to rename Shared Data files. There are two graphics attached that pertain to this problem. Can you possibly give me a way to figure out the program that is using the data file Intuit?
  • jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    Markus1957: Here are the 2 graphics. Sorry did not atached to previous comment.
  • markus1957
    Typically, only TurboTax would be using that folder. It's odd because QW2019 does not use the Intuit folder anymore. That means you may have some interference from an old Quicken install. Try renaming the folder in Safe Mode.  You can look in Windows Task Manager to see what Quicken or Intuit app might be running.  

There is an off chance you have some third party backup software locking the folder.
  • jegreen56
    jegreen56 Member ✭✭✭
    I hope I have come to the end of this episode. I have sucessfully regained the use of my Quicken application. I do not like that Intuit has abandoned Quicken. I hope this problem does not rear its ugly head again. I wonder if QuickBooks will allow you to import data from Quicken?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QuickBooks is for business accounting and not personal finances. You can't have investment accounts and it costs a heck of a lot more than Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.