How do I use multiple users?

Options
I have quicken installed on my computer. I have a lot of information that I do not want my employees to see. I would like to make use of my employees entering transactions in accounts that they can see. Can I install Quicken on another computer. Add only those accounts that I want my employees to populate (I am in Mexico and I cannot download transactions) and then export the accounts and import them into my data file. Some of my credit card accounts have hundreds of small transactions (Uber) and it is time consuming for me to do this. I have employees capable of doing it but I have personal accounts that they should not see.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @eshoaff ,

Easy! Make a Copy of the current Quicken Data File, by doing a Manual Backup, first. Then restore the Manual Backup under a different Name. Pick one and delete your Personal Accounts from that Data File. Do a Manual Backup of that File.

Install Quicken on that other computer and bring it up to date.  Restore that Manual Backup on that computer.

Remember you can make mistakes, because you have Manual Backups to restore, if you make a mistake.

See this post for the future: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7803899/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet#latest

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• eshoaff
    eshoaff Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I understand now how to get started. What I'm not sure of is if there is a way to regularly import that other file into my data file.Can Quicken export one account and can I import one account into the master data file? I'm using the subscription version on Windows PCs. By the way, I just had a hard drive failure and Quicken was the one thing that I habitually backed up and had no trouble restoring. It reinforced my belief in manual backups.

Ed Shoaff
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @eshoaff ,

Hi Ed Shoaff,

Use the QIF Export Method for one file and then import to your Master Data File.

If it doesn't work, experiment around with it or simply maintain two Quicken Data Files.

You can try using the Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File, but it leads to duplicate accounts.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OR..... just have one data file for each world -
    - one for work accounts, that can easily be copied back and forth
    - one for personal account, that you only access
    You would have to flip between them via Open and Close 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• eshoaff
    eshoaff Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll experiment. I used to do something like this with Quickbooks, they had password protected accounts which kept my employees from doing unauthorized transfers but in my case now, I just don't want them to see my assets. I think the one that creates duplicate files, Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File, might be the answer if I always remember to delete the older duplicate. that would solve the synchronization issue, just add the new account monthly and delete the old one.
This discussion has been closed.