Equity / stock pricing errors - several stocks updating to exact same bogus price

Munch
Munch Member
edited July 2019 in Investing (Windows)
For several weeks the prices for about half the stocks are incorrect. Whether I use the big update - load through the brokerage - or try to update just a single stock price history - incorrect prices load. Anyone else?
Tagged:

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Any specific examples? I can look through my price history and compare. Most of my positions are matched to broker.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, how big a "miss" are we talking about here?  Dollars?  Pennies?  A fraction of a cent?

What are you comparing to when you determine Quicken in incorrect? 

Could this be caused by the fact that Quicken only provides delayed quotes so all you can really compare a Quicken quoted to is a "after closing" quote?
  • Munch
    Munch Member
    Thanks for responding - its a gross error
    hopefully you can see the attached picture - several stocks listing the same gross error price while others still are correct. The price changes on the error stocks in unison -
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen this behavior and I follow some of the securities on that list. The price history looks clean. What happens when you do a price update? Same prices populate?
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Munch
    Munch Member
    During update - those stocks that have same price - all update to another random number - they seemed to be locked together -
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes - if you look at the Security List - are the Symbols correct ?

and then - what about the individual Price History

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "For several weeks the prices for about half the stocks are incorrect." 

You may need to restore or access a backup file from before you first saw this behavior.  It looks to me like corruption in the price-history file or in the security list info.  While validate might correct the issue, it may not.  

@ps56k 's suggestion about the individual security price history presentation is highly relevant.  If that data is 'correct', then the display is grabbing the wrong values -- that would be one type of data or program corruption. 

If the price-history data is incorrect, then something else (the pathway from data supplier to your data file) would be in error.  Validate might be more likely to fix that.

The principle of accessing a backup file would be to see if that file formerly working correctly is still able to work correctly.
  • Munch
    Munch Member
    All - sincere earnest thanks for the feedback and tips - the price history was messed up in the tables - did not know about the validate feature - so after I ran the delete investing price history (validate file & rebuild investing lots did not fix anything) - all appears good now. One side note - i saved a copy of my main file and ran the validations on that - interestingly only on the copy of the file did the fix work - if i run the same delete investing price history on the original file it renames it this random name and file is completely messed up - go figure!
This discussion has been closed.