Investment account- manual (401k, Q Mac)

Paul24
Paul24 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I have an employer 401K account. But Quicken can't access it- not sure why.

So I added a manual investment account.

This 401K has about 10 different funds. So in Quicken I can't really add purchases of various securities. (It would be a pain..)

What I would like to do is just add a transaction periodically showing money in or money out depending on the gain or loss, showing the current balance of the 401K.

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

A downloaded all the QFX files from the financial company. They were by quarter from back in 2014.

After loading them all, I looked at reconciling the account- and there is a differ of 88K. That same 88K is the current balance. The Market value is the same 88K too high from current when I go the finance company site.

Should I make an adjustment to bring it into line?

Answers

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Who is the 401(k) provider? Are they not in the list?

You could go the route of building your own OFX files but that is a bit of work.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    Deseret Mutual or Empower. They are not on the list.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    I've added a "Property Account" and labeled it 401K... so it shows up in my net worth, but I would like to have it be in the investing area.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    And they also don't provide the OFX files in the interface to download I assume? If you really want to track the minutiae like I do, I build the files myself. Really depends on how much you want to do.

Assuming 26 pay periods per year, it would be 26 times the number of funds you buy every other week to manually key it. 
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    I was just looking and they do provide a QFX. I'll have to play with that. Thanks
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I would set up a 401(k) account and record the transfers and matches from employer in there. As well as the data from the QFX files. It should load clean into the new account.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @intouchwithreality the OP is asking about Quicken Mac. Your answer about entering prices in the Portfolio view appear to refer to Quicken Windows. In Quicken Mac, unfortunately, entering security prices on a specific date requires going to Window > Securities, selecting the security, clicking the Price History tab, and making a new entry. Still do-able, just a bit more of a pain. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

A downloaded all the QFX files from the financial company. They were by quarter from back in 2014.

After loading them all, I looked at reconciling the account- and there is a differ of 88K. That same 88K is the current balance. The Market value is the same 88K too high from current when I go the finance company site.

Should I make an adjustment to bring it into line?
  • jacobs
    Scroll back to the first transaction in the register and see if it is placeholder transaction inserted by Quicken. (You can read about placeholder transactions here.) If so, you can delete it, and then if any further adjustment is needed for your opening balance, enter it as a manual transaction.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    In the 401K there are diff securities (12). At the beginning of reg there is a greyed out transaction - 1 for each. When I click on the trans a message comes up. Are these the placeholders?
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    I also noticed that while the Market value is off, the shares for each security is correct?
  • jacobs
    Paul, yes, those are the placeholders. As you see, Quicken is telling you that it doesn't know the original of some or all the shares in your Account when it compares what's in Quicken to what the brokerage is reporting. So you can add the transactions manually -- probably not viable in this case -- or add a "guesstimate" so that Quicken knows the cost basis for the shares that are being manufactured to get the balance correct.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Downloading all of the files won't get you auto-reconciled unless you started this account with the first QDF download. Seems like there were transactions before 2014.

Set your starting point first, and then download transactions from there and reconcile monthly.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your patience! :) As I am adding the QFX file by quarter and then comparing against the statement- I'm starting to see a line in the portfolio labeled "cash" this amount is increasing each quarter?
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    If I subtract the cash, the the market value matches the statement.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    That cash is likely going to match your contributions and company match.

jr7107 said:
    The thing about at 401(k) is usually there is a transfer from Employee Paycheck into the 401(k) account, and then purchase of stock. If you have the checking account tracked in Q then you are going to have to set that up as well to make the cash balance, unless you just accept the entries in the QDF.

Quicken user since 1994.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    By this time - I was retired and no more contributions by me or my employer were made.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    I had withdrawn some $$, but I see them in the transactions as Sell
  • jacobs
    Is the cash amount positive or negative in Quicken? If you're recording the purchase of shares, Quicken is going to create a negative cash amount for the cost of those shares. Where did the purchases come from? If they were reinvested dividends, then they should be recorded as such in Quicken, and it won't affect cash.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    It looks positive. I see a bunch of add and remove shares- not sure where they come from. I also see reinvestment.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I thought maybe the add/remove were from quarterly rebalancing- but they occur at other times.

The 10K cash is also the same amount as the balance.
This discussion has been closed.