Moving account to a new quicken file

Options
i am a quicken user for more that 20 years upgrading from version to version. right now my backup file is 245Mb large.
dozens of accounts are not in use.
afraid is too big.
would like to start a new file from scratch and move to that account only the 8-10 current active accounts. dont seem to see a straight forward solution.
please advice ... tnx walter
Tagged:

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your data file is not too large but, if you want to reduce the data file's size, I suggest you select File > File Operations > Copy...
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @wabadi ,

Make a Manual Backup of your Quicken Data File.

Now simply delete all unnecessary Account Registers.

Then Quit and open Quicken. Make a Backup of your Quicken Data File, remembering to give it a New Quicken File Name, so you don't overwrite any file.

Now you have everything in your current file, without needing to move any Account.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• wabadi
    wabadi Member
    Options
    first, what is a big file for quicken?
    just deleting old accounts, will this reduce the file sice; i beleive i read file will remain same size , therefor best way was to just create a new file from scratch an then move the few accounts in use. comments appreciated. best.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too large is a data file that will not fit on your disk or about 64 TB.  I would consider a data file larger than 2 GB data file excluding attachments to be big because of the application's memory limitation.

The File > File Operations > Copy... will reclaim the space.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

This discussion has been closed.