How can I split my Roth vs Salary Reduction contributions that share an account at Fidelity?

I have a 403b that I contributed to both as Roth and as tax-deferred. The amounts are not equal, not every contribution has both. When I download my transactions, there doesn't seem to be a way to distinguish the two. I can see the breakdown on my online transaction history, but it seems to get lost in the download to Quicken.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is any way to do this in Quicken. Some tax deferred accounts will track multiple cash sources for downloads but as far as I know Roth it's not one of the supported sources. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    In a similar transaction, I use a Tag in a Split Transaction for payroll deposit so that I can run a report that distinguishes the amounts. The Split Transaction has the separated amount in a transfer to the account, so I end up deleting an aggregate deposit that downloads form the FI but the Split obviously matches the total.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • shadow4891
    shadow4891 Member
    I am doing that with my current employer, I have set up my paycheck. The problem is I have 5 years worth of contributions from my prior employer that are with fidelity, and I can't find a way to split them. Quicken won't let you split the transactions in an investment account. Quicken's response was to change the share number of the downloaded transaction and add a manual transaction for the shares in the other amount.

Separately, it looks like Quicken still doesn't let you separate a single account into both tax-deferred and not (Roth). You'd think after 9 years they would've figured it out. I found someone with this same exact problem from 2010...

Roth employer retirement accounts are becoming more common. Quicken needs to figure it out.
  • shadow4891
    shadow4891 Member
    But wouldn't Roth just be employee after tax? This is actually the solution to my problem, I think! Problem is, I don't have a cash source button like you do...
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you can make non-Roth after tax contributions to a 401(k) and that is what that source is for I think. Also see this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7342785/401-k-cash-source
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I love this Community because I really learned something today. Let me throw a curveball now, and how do you track a source that is going to Fidelity BrokerageLink account and that investment?
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
This discussion has been closed.