Spending detail does not match account register

Using Quicken 2017 Deluxe for Windows
When I view the spending detail, it lists many duplicate transactions from the American Express account between May and July. However, when I view the AMEX account register, there are no duplicates. Also, the spending detail includes transactions after July 26 but the account register does not include any transactions after July 26. These are all downloaded transactions and I was prompted several weeks ago to change my download preferences for the American Express account.
How to you account for and correct these discrepancies?

Best Answer

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you perhaps create a 2nd account register for AmEx when you had to deactivate / reactivate your account?
    If yes, repeat the deactivate / reactivate procedure, making sure that you correctly LINK the original account register to the card account found at the bank. If you don't do this correctly, Quicken will create a new account register instead.
    After you're done reactivating and cleaning up the original account register you can delete the new incorrect one.

To deactivate an Account

Go to Tools > Account List.
    Click Edit for the account you need to change.
    Click Online Services tab.
    If the account has been activated for Online Bill Payment, deactivate this service first.
    Click Deactivate button in Online Setup box.
    Repeat for any other accounts that need to be deactivated.
    Restart Quicken to make sure that the changes are fully applied.

To (re-)activate accounts for downloading

Create a backup of your Quicken data file. This is a restore point, should something go horribly wrong during the next steps.
    If you normally automatically accept downloaded transactions into your registers I recommend you turn this feature off now. The first transaction download after every activation will download 60 - 90 days worth of transactions into your account(s). Auto-accepting them will most likely create a horrible mess that's difficult to undo. You're better off manually reviewing and accepting or deleting this first batch of downloaded transactions, one by one.  Go into Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions. Remove the checkmarks from both "After downloading transactions" settings.
    Go to Tools / Add Account to reactivate the accounts. As you go thru the setup process, Quicken will identify all accounts it can download.
    Select an account type, e.g. Checking
    Enter the name of your bank and click Next.  Some banks have multiple choices, Consumer vs. Business accounts, Express Web Connect vs. Direct Connect. Be sure to pick the correct one.
    Enter your credentials, select Save this password (if using password vault) and click Connect.

You should now see a list of all accounts found at your bank that you can activate.
    If you are activating an existing account, make sure the dropdown button for that account says LINK. If it says ADD, change it to LINK and select the correct Quicken account.  If it already says LINK, click the button and select the correct existing account register. If you do not do this, then the account will be added as a new account instead of being linked to the existing account register.

Repeat this step for each account listed.
    Change ADD to IGNORE for any account on the list that you do not want to activate at this time. You can always come back and activate more accounts later.
    Click Next to continue.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you inadvertently created a new AMEX register on July 27.  To resolve the issue, you may restore a data file backup saved prior to the July 27 and reapply three weeks of updates.  Another approach, assuming you are able to locate the duplicate register, would be to merge the two registers and resolve any duplicate transactions.
  • Chris15
    Chris15 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, it appears that I did create a new AMEX register. I followed UKR's suggestion, but when I get to the step for Add Account and select American Express, the only account that is found is the newly created one that I need to eliminate.
    Can I copy the missing transactions from the new register to the old one, delete the new register and then correctly set up the original register?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris said:
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, it appears that I did create a new AMEX register. I followed UKR's suggestion, but when I get to the step for Add Account and select American Express, the only account that is found is the newly created one that I need to eliminate.
    Can I copy the missing transactions from the new register to the old one, delete the new register and then correctly set up the original register?
    You needed to deactivate the Online Services of all of the registers associated with the financial institution. When you subsequently setup the Online Services of one of the registers, Quicken should provide a list of all of the accounts Quicken obtains from the financial institution and allow you to link the accounts to the appropriate existing registers.

You may merge the accounts in either direction: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts  Don't forget to reset any reminders and memorized payees associated with the register you remove.

Before making any significant changes to you data file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Chris15
    Chris15 Member ✭✭
    Thanks again. I copied the missing transactions from the new register to the original one and then deleted the new account. However, every time I try to set up the original account for downloads, Quicken wants to create a new account for the credit card. Do I need to restore to an earlier file as you originally suggested and proceed from there?
  • Chris15
    Chris15 Member ✭✭
    That worked. Thanks so much for your help. Nice to know there are people out there who know their stuff and are willing to help.
This discussion has been closed.