Quicken security rename feature corrupts data file

Clark46
Clark46 Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Sometimes a security will be renamed on one of the major security exchanges. in downloading transactions, My broker (TD Ameritrade) handles this by removing the shares with the old name and adding the same number of shares with the new name. The problem with this approach is that you lose the purchase date and cost basis of the shares. Apparently Quicken has added a feature that in this situation asks you if the security was renamed. If you respond "yes" it just updates the name and trading symbol of your existing holding. Unfortunately, when you do that, your Quicken data file becomes corrupt. You can continue entering data in Quicken, but when you close the program and try to reopen your data file, you get a message that "Quicken for Windows has stopped working" and Windows closes the program. your data file becomes useless and you have to fall back to a backup file. I have been able to duplicate this error several times.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Q product are you running?  And what BUILD of Q?  You can get this info by doing HELP, About Quicken.
    Depending upon your responses, there may be other options available.
    AND, with what security are you experiencing this problem, so that we can test the issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Clark46
    Clark46 Member ✭✭
    I am running 2019 Premier. The build is 27.1.20.15.

The security was Torchmark Preferred C stock (TMK_pc) which became Global Life Preferred C (GL_pc).

In the past, I have always just manually renamed the stock and the symbol. Since it took about 6 hours to isolate the problem, you can bet that is what I will do in the future.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about trying a Corporate Acquisition transaction of 1 sh of GL_pc for each share of TMK_pc?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GL_pc is not the correct symbol for Quicken's servers.  I believe it should be GL-C, but you need to confirm that.  That Quicken attempted to link the new (renamed) security to that ticker may be the source of your corruption.  I concur with your approach of renaming separately from the download and ignoring the download.

FWIW:  I do not know if the CUSIP changed such that you might need to unmatch and then rematch the renamed security to the online brokers security.
  • Clark46
    Clark46 Member ✭✭
    TD Ameritrade used the correct symbol for Quicken, which is GL-C. I just used GL_pc because that is what a lot of the data providers use.

Good question about the CUSIP, i need to check that out.
This discussion has been closed.