Cannot convert from Quicken 2010 to QuickBooks 2019

greggmh123
greggmh123 Member ✭✭
Hello!

I need to convert from Quicken 2010 to QuickBooks Premier 2019 desktop application . I installed the Quicken 2019 Converter to match the QuickBooks 2019 year, converted successfully to a QFX file, then when QB 2019 tries to convert the resulting new QDF file, it gets to 6% and fails. I have used two different computers to try to do this conversion, and they always fail at 6% progress.

Is there a way in Quicken to create a clean file, then create a QFX from that, then try the QB conversion?

I don't know where to check for WHY it fails at the same spot each time.

I will post this question in the QB community as well.

Thank you for your help!

Gregg

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the problem is that your Q 2010 data file is so old that the Converter can't handle it.
    I'd expect that the QB forum can advise you on intermediate steps (intermediate updates to your Q product) that will get you to where you want to be.
    BTW, are you aware that QB doesn't support investments?  SO, if you have any in your Q2010 data file ... they won't convert.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > I suspect that the problem is that your Q 2010 data file is so old that the Converter can't handle it.I'd expect that the QB forum can advise you on intermediate steps (intermediate updates to your Q product) that will get you to where you want to be.BTW, are you aware that QB doesn't support investments?  SO, if you have any in your Q2010 data file ... they won't convert.

I will try to convert the Quicken file with my QB 2015 installation and see if it works.

Gregg
  • greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Found this.  Convert Quicken to QuickBooks
    >
    > https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/convert-data-files/convert-quicken-data-to-quickbooks-desktop/00/185867

From my post: "I installed the Quicken 2019 Converter to match the QuickBooks 2019 year, converted successfully to a QFX file, then when QB 2019 tries to convert the resulting new QDF file...." I already used the "Quicken 2019 Converter" tool from the page you noted..

Gregg
  • greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Wonderful. The oldest converter available is 2016, and my QB is 2015. The client just installed QB 2019! I am going to try the 2016 converter anyway.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it looks like you first need to upgrade to a newer Quicken version even to get to QuickBooks.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    I downloaded Quicken to my computer and just installed it. I'll see what happens in a few minutes after the required reboot!
  • greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Wow, [Edited for vulgarity /Edit] What is the best way to get my client's Quicken 2010 data file into Quicken 2019 that I just bought? Quicken 2019 tries to open and goes to the Quicken ID login page, yet the client's Quicken ID does not work. Would restoring a backup or using a Quicken transfer file also run into this roadblock?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    always interesting to follow along these migration stories,
    with all the related speed bumps.... and which hammer is used -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Wow, [Editted for vulgarity /Edit] What is the best way to get my client's Quicken 2010 data file into Quicken 2019 that I just bought? Quicken 2019 tries to open and goes to the Quicken ID login page, yet the client's Quicken ID does not work. Would restoring a backup or using a Quicken transfer file also run into this roadblock?
    You need to use the Quicken ID/password that was used to register the 2019 version 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Wow, [Editted for vulgarity /Edit] . What is the best way to get my client's Quicken 2010 data file into Quicken 2019 that I just bought? Quicken 2019 tries to open and goes to the Quicken ID login page, yet the client's Quicken ID does not work. Would restoring a backup or using a Quicken transfer file also run into this roadblock?
    Hi @greggmh123 ,

You are talking Client's ID with Quicken 2010. Quicken 2019, needs a Quicken User ID that is, the Quicken User ID that you used to Register Quicken with.

Quicken 2019 works differently from Quicken 2010. With Quicken 2010, you had an Intuit ID. With Quicken 2019, you need a Quicken User ID. Before you can convert from Quicken 2010 to Quicken 2019 Data File, you will need to Enter the Quicken User ID and Password.

Note, you are not registering the Product, you are Registering the Quicken Data File. If you have more than one Quicken Data File, you will need to repeat the process for each Quicken Data File.

The Correct Quicken USER ID can be access here: https://www.quicken.com/  Hover the Mouse of Sign in and click My Account.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    @thecreator, the Intuit ID wasn't implemented until Quicken 2014 as @volvogirl likes to point out.
  • greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    I got the file open in Quicken 2019, but it still fails at 6% when using QB Premier 2019 to convert. I am going to contact tech support about it.

Thank you for all of the input!

Gregg
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Hopefully, you're going to be contacting QB support since it's their converting. Have you tried copying the file from Quicken and then validating it?
  • greggmh123
    greggmh123 Member ✭✭
    I decided to try one more thing, and that was using Quicken 2019 to export a QXF file, then create a new file in Quicken 2019 and import that QXF file using Quicken 2019. It came up with 3581 errors, 3573 of which were "Unable to find transfer account for transaction" and the remaining were "Missing transfer ID - check for duplicate transfers in account RECEIVABLE." I am going to have the client look at their file to see if they see what's missing.

I just grabbed today's Quicken 2010 file and opened it in Q 2019, validated it, and a quick look shows a ton of errors that may be matching the errors in the import. There are some dead accounts from 1995 all related to old payroll that could be the culprit here.

I'll post back here when I get this resolved.
This discussion has been closed.