Today (8/24/2019) Quicken just updated. It is now requesting me to login.

I had enter my password for my data file then Quicken ask me for my login. I do not use the online backup. I click on the "X" several times and finally it went away. When I click to backup my data file locally it pop up again. Clicking on the "X" several times finally it went away as well as Quicken. I had to go through the whole process again to backup my data file, this time I had all of the logins and I also got confirmation on my backup. This login (web connect) need an option to be disable in Quicken Preferences.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once in a while you get prompted to identify yourself by entering your Quicken ID and password. This latest software update appears to have been one of those occasions.
    Just enter your Quicken ID and password and you'll be good to go for something like another 90 days before the next prompt.
    Don't "X" out of the password prompt or it'll keep nagging constantly.
  • Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    The point is I do not want to login. I want to turn off the login prompt. I do not use cloud storage of my data files, if that what the login is for. If not then I need the login prompt removed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken ID is required to show that you are a registered user in good standing, authorized to use the Quicken software.
    Only if you have activated Sync to Mobile / Web, will it also serve as your identification with the sync server.

• Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    I do not use Sync to Mobile/Web. So why do I need to login, Quicken is already activated. According to the link provided by UKR I don't need to login, everything can be done offline. I only need to be online, but not login, for update.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Offline means the machine is not connected to a network (aka airplane mode).  If the machine is on a network, when we open Quicken, Quicken will occasionally attempt to verify the software is up-to-date by communicating with a Quicken server.  When Quicken communicates with the Quicken server, Quicken authenticates the connection using a certificate that expires after a period of time.  When the certificate expires (or we use a data file with different credentials, use a different machine or different IP address, or after some software updates), we are prompted to authenticate to enable a new certificate to be generated.  Quicken uses the authenticated certificate to verify our subscription is still active.
  • Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    Yes I understand what offline (including pulling the network cable plug) means. And I understand Quicken will occasionally communicate with a Quicken server to verify the software is up-to-date. So what does the has to do with me logging in? Once the software been activated the Quicken server should know their own software is on which computer. The data files I use should not matter and should not contain any information in regard to Quicken or the Quicken servers. Having to reauthenticate Quicken due to hardware changes make more sense and not from different machine, different IP address, or after some software updates.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jamesv ,

The Quicken Program isn't being Registered. What you are registering, is the Quicken Data File.

Open Quicken, Click Edit, then click Preferences.  Now click Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts.

That's the reason, why you need to sign in, when the Cookie expires. The program needs to verify the data there, else you will lose access to valuable real estate. You will start seeing large Ads.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    Why would I need to register my data? Quicken and no need for what in my data files. I only have Quicken on one computer and I do not use the web/mobile app. No need to sync to anything. thecreator what are you talking about "will lose access to valuable real estate. You will start seeing large Ads."?
  • Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    Forgot to mention. Once I login there is no way to log off. Look like a security issue to me.
  • thecreator
    Jamesv said:
    Why would I need to register my data? Quicken and no need for what in my data files. I only have Quicken on one computer and I do not use the web/mobile app. No need to sync to anything. thecreator what are you talking about "will lose access to valuable real estate. You will start seeing large Ads."?
    Hi @Jamesv ,

See this image:

• thecreator
    Jamesv said:
    Forgot to mention. Once I login there is no way to log off. Look like a security issue to me.
    Hi @Jamesv ,

You can Sign out, but once you Sign Out, you lose the ability to work on your Data File.

• Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    thecreator I see your image, but I DO NOT use the WEB or MOBILE APP (as previously stated). I only use the desktop app (and on ONLY ONE computer). And in the "About Quicken" it show the membership expiration date. The image that I included is what I found in Quicken if I choose to log off. I DO NOT need any of this, so I DO NOT need to login to register my files. I DO NEED the login to go away.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Jamesv said:
    Yes I understand what offline (including pulling the network cable plug) means. And I understand Quicken will occasionally communicate with a Quicken server to verify the software is up-to-date. So what does the has to do with me logging in? Once the software been activated the Quicken server should know their own software is on which computer. The data files I use should not matter and should not contain any information in regard to Quicken or the Quicken servers. Having to reauthenticate Quicken due to hardware changes make more sense and not from different machine, different IP address, or after some software updates.
    We're not logging in and the software in not activated.  Quicken's authentication and authorization model binds an authenticated Quicken ID one-to-many devices.  Quicken refers to the authentication as sign in. The Quicken ID is associated with a data file and is used to grant rights and identify resources associated with the data file whether we choose to use them or not.  Their model may not be implemented the way you or I would choose to implement it but, if you want to use their software, you have to accept it.
    Jamesv said:
    We may disassociate a Quicken ID from a data file and, from quicken.com, we may sign out of all devices.  

• thecreator
    Jamesv said:
    thecreator I see your image, but I DO NOT use the WEB or MOBILE APP (as previously stated). I only use the desktop app (and on ONLY ONE computer). And in the "About Quicken" it show the membership expiration date. The image that I included is what I found in Quicken if I choose to log off. I DO NOT need any of this, so I DO NOT need to login to register my files. I DO NEED the login to go away.
    Hi @Jamesv ,

If you Sign Out, you will not be able to use Quicken or have access to your Quicken Data File. That is the Bottom line. Try it.

If you use Quicken Subscription Program, and Quicken 2014 through Quicken 2017, the Quicken Data File must be Registered.

The last Quicken version that does not require the Data File to be Registered is Quicken 2013. The Data File is not backward compatible to that version. You need to start a Brand New Quicken Data File.

• Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    I discover under the "Term of Use" at the end of my membership and I do not renew, I have "Data Access Guarantee" on the Deluxe and above version. With that I can use it without logging into Quicken. I don't use any of the services they offer. The only problem is no updates. In my opinion the product has been out long enough that there should be no bugs in it. I will still be able to manually input my data, which is what I do anyway.
  • Jamesv
    Jamesv Member
    Thanks to everyone that had inputted the information. I'll just wait until my subscription end.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you will still have to sign in with your Quicken ID/password after your subscription expires.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.