Can't get into my Quicken - help

Roger
Roger Member ✭✭
My quicken has been working fine. All of a sudden I can't even get into it. what happened?

Best Answer

• Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, I don't know what happened. We had a terrible storm yesterday and lost power for about 1/2 hr. When I checked it out this morning,Quicken was up and back to it's old self. Works just great. I don't understand it. I want to thank everyone who tried to help.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Please explain, in detail, what you're talking about.  We're other users ... not mindreaders.
    (edited)

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    Sorry about that. I thought maybe this was something quicken was pulling. My quicken was a ver. 2015. I just use it for our personal accounts,savings and checking. I don't use it to pay any bills or anything that requires the inputting of any account #s. I went to enter some checks yesterday, I i cant get into it. OI get some weird screen that asks me if I'm a new user or if I want to upgrade. I hit the upgrade button and my screen locked up . I was able to get it working again but my quicken file is now empty. HELP. We don't' have a lot of money, but I don't like not knowing where it is.
  • Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    I guess what Im asking is can I save my info if I buy a new version of Quicken 2019. or is the last 20 years of quicken just gone?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you use OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? 
    Do you have a backup you can restore?

You can upgrade to Quicken Subscription and open your data file but you'll probably get the same error message.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger said:
    My quicken has been working fine. All of a sudden I can't even get into it. what happened?
    ok - to start... what exact version ..... Quicken menu --> Help --> About Quicken ?
    And, un-related - why are you manually entering info vs downloading it from your bank?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    Since my quicken folders are empty, do you think there is any chance if I got a new 2019 version that it could find my lost version? It seems to me like I got hit with something that just wiped all my quicken out. I am very cautious about what I open and don't click on anything I don't know. Am I going to have to start over with my last bank statement. I have already ordered a 2019 version that will be here soon.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What changed .... did you install a recent Windows 10 update ?
    Are you still in the same Windows User /Documents/ and Quicken folder ?
    Have you done a Windows search for any *.QDF files on your disk -
    ... mine happen to be here --->  C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken-Files
    either from Quicken....  --> File --> Find Quicken Files -->
    or from the Windows file search ...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, I don't know what happened. We had a terrible storm yesterday and lost power for about 1/2 hr. When I checked it out this morning,Quicken was up and back to it's old self. Works just great. I don't understand it. I want to thank everyone who tried to help.
This discussion has been closed.