Why is it Quicken treat an update like an upgrade?

Every time I get a required update to existing software - NOT an upgrade to a new version - Quicken asks about what file I want to use. No other software I own does this! If I get a Outlook update, it doesn't require me to choose what profile I want to use. If I get a Firefox or Chrome update, the software doesn't ask me to re-login or if I want to change my settings. Why does Quicken do this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be it?

Quicken does not remember last used data file name

• Make sure that the data file name does NOT have a blank space at the end of the name portion, e.g. QDATA_.QDF (where the underscore represents a blank space)
    • Check to ensure that the file QUSER.INI  in
      C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Config
      (or C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config in older Quicken versions)
      is not set to Read Only.

• As far as I can tell, the issue isn't about the filename or location, as I never have an issue simply launching Quicken, e.g. Quicken opens the file and performs its start-up tasks. I have 3 computers on my network (3-user license) and all access and use the same personal file with no issues on a simple start.
    And I get that after an upGRADE that any app kind of wants to reset things and start over. What I don't get is why an upDATE makes me re-find my file - especially when fixes / updates with other apps don't.
    It's more annoying than performance, but upDATEs seem to happen frequently with Quicken, and three computers in the network just multiplies my annoyance.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @hamfam63 ,

Some updates do cause problems. The solution is simple. Before installing an update, make sure that you have a Manual Backup, most recent Manual Backup. Once you have a Manual Backup, update all Quicken installations at the same time. Then simply restore the most recent Manual Backup. That's it.

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You have not disclose your Quicken Version.

By the way, Quicken Subscription offers unlimited installations, but all tied to the same Quicken USER ID and password.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.