loss of data

i am losing data going back to 3/11/2016 each time i exit quicken. restoring from backup 9/03 brings it back but when i exit and come back in it is gone. i have uninstalled quicken and reinstalled but still have to go vback to 9/03 to get uncorrupted data. s

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @scottvehslage ,

Question: Have you checked for File System Errors on the operating system partition as well as your Documents partition?

Also see this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • backup on my d drive
  • This did not work Sara..... stilll going back to 3/211/2016! Where if my DATA??????

Hello All,

This issue is now resolved. Though it appeared that user data was "disappearing", the root cause was a display issue that has been resolved.

If you continue to experience this issue for any reason, a Validate & Repair of the Quicken Data File restores the missing data. Just go to the File > File Operations > Validate & Repair option and check the box to "Validate File".

Thank you for your patience and help in resolving this issue!
  • thecreator
    Hi @scottvehslage ,

Are you doing Manual Backups after making changes to your Quicken Data File? Make Manual Backups, before closing Quicken.

• yes, doing manual backups to d drive
  • i lose all data going back to 3/11/2016 after updating MONDO patch on 9/6... restoring from backup works but after backing up and exiting the data gets lost again
  • thecreator

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Hi @UKR
    thanks for your help but trouble shooting 101 did not work... restoring from manual backup w all of
    my data brings the transactions back to the date of backup... downloading transactions gets me up to date... then WHEN BACKING UP MANUALLY it saves to the D: drive and the ddata gets lost....

So, Rinse and Repeat back to the data from the uncorrupted manual backup...

this began to occure when uupdated to 20.16... so how do i go back to 20.15 ???
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is your active Quicken data file located, e.g., C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken?
    Are you using MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup software?
    If yes, is your Quicken data file actively accessed by this software while Quicken is running?
    If yes to the last question ... turn it off. This could be what's causing your problems. Configure cloud backup to grab the Manual or Automatic Backup created by Quicken when you close Quicken.

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If no, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    1. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID, but on the following screen make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

• hi UKR

here is your active Quicken data file located, e.g., C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken? YES
    Are you using MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup software?
    If yes, is your Quicken data file actively accessed by this software while Quicken is running? NO
    If yes to the last question ... turn it off. This could be what's causing your problems. Configure cloud backup to grab the Manual or Automatic Backup created by Quicken when you close Quicken.
    Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web? TURNED OFF BUT SEE BELOW
    Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If no, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. DONE

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file TRIED THIS

Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group. DONE
    Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID, but on the following screen make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" I COULD NOT FIND THIS OPTION TO TURN OFF!!!!!!option and move through the remainder of the process.
    [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There appears to have been a change in Quicken in one of the later releases or things are different if the data file was not actively being synced before you signed out of your Quicken ID.
    I just signed out myself and then signed in again. The sign in process, after a few seconds of blinking the screen on my computer eventually gave me the sign in screen followed by the completion message without asking about "Use mobile" / "Don't use mobile".
    It appears that the answer to the question "Is my file being synced?" can be found in the Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts. If there is a blue "Get Started" button at the bottom of the screen, your data file is not synced to Mobile / Web.

• scottvehslage
    scottvehslage Member ✭✭
    nothing seems to work. i even purchased a new version of quicken and sigined in as a new user. when accessing data from backup al data showed. after closing out its gone... DOES ANYONE HAVE A NUMBER TO QUICKEN THAT IS VALID FOR KNOWLEDGABLE REPS? I GO THRU THE SAME EXPLANATION AND GET NOWHERE. NEED A REP I CAN UNDERSTAND
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Contact Quicken Support: http://www.quicken.com/contact-support
  • scottvehslage
    scottvehslage Member ✭✭
    hi @ greg_the _geek,

the problem seems to come up when i backup or restart. the balances are correct but the data gets lost back to 3/2016. also i notice that the data file seems to continue to grow indicating that the data is there, the balances are correct but the details going back to 3/2016 is missing. is there away to send my data file to quicken to examine?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Not that I know of. What is the name of your Quicken data file? If it's more then 8 characters or has a space, try renaming it to just 8 characters with no spaces ie: QData.QDF. You could also try copying your data file from within Quicken and then opening the copy.
  • thecreator
    Hi @scottvehslage ,

You never disclosed your operating system or Quicken Information.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a bug in Quicken several years ago which caused mouse-clicks in a popup menu to also be processed by the underlying register view.
    Mouse-clicking thru the backup menus would change the sort order of the open register view to something other than Date, making users believe that their data file had become corrupted.
    Could this be the problem?
    After you reopen Quicken, what's the sort order on your account register? By Date? Something else?
    We really need to know what version of Windows you are running and what version and release of Quicken.
  • scottvehslage
    scottvehslage Member ✭✭
    Could this be the problem?
    After you reopen Quicken, what's the sort order on your account register? By Date? Something else? BY DATE... AND NO I TRIED THIS
    We really need to know what version of Windows you are running and what version and release of Quicken.

WINDOWS 10 HOME
    QUICKEN DELUXE VERSION R22.12

i can pull the data from the backup but lose it when exiting and a function comes up that is recalculating trading.... the data file is larger ( assuming it is from the downloaded transactions ) but the data is gone from today back to 3/2016 on all accounts
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. There's no advice I can think of to give you other than:

Call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018/2019 Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

This discussion has been closed.