How to removed unwanted payees from the drop down of previously entered payees Not in memorized Tran

I have many payees who appear in the drop-down box for previously entered payees that are no longer active. There are also a few typos that I’d like to get rid of. None of these items are in the Memorized Transactions.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Using Edit / Find/Replace to standardize Payee Names and weed out typos, e.g. change all McD, McDonald's and other variations to "McDonalds", should help eliminate multiple entries in pulldown selection lists.
    AFAIK, pulldown selection lists for Payee Names are created from existing register transactions + Memorized Payee List entries + (optional) Address Book. 

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I suggest you review the entries in the Memorized Payee List: press Ctrl + T

• JonieSue
    JonieSue Member ✭✭
    There are only 6 memorized payees and none of them are the unwanted entries.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only other way payees get saved is through Renaming Rules. Take a look under Tools. If that's it, you have auto save renaming rules set under preferences, that should be unchecked.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may want to consider rebuilding the Memorized Payee List: press the Ctrl + Shift key and select Tools > Memorized Payee List

Before making any significant changes to your data file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Using Edit / Find/Replace to standardize Payee Names and weed out typos, e.g. change all McD, McDonald's and other variations to "McDonalds", should help eliminate multiple entries in pulldown selection lists.
    AFAIK, pulldown selection lists for Payee Names are created from existing register transactions + Memorized Payee List entries + (optional) Address Book. 

• JonieSue
    JonieSue Member ✭✭
    Thank you to all who responded. The key was the Address Book. I deleted about 40 entries and have a much cleaner list. All told, I had 8 entries for the local water company, which had a name change a while back. There were a few typos and some abbreviations that were part of the problem.
This discussion has been closed.