Upgrade from QM 2017 to QM 2019?

Options
Would you offer advice as to advantages and disadvantages (challenges) of upgrading from QM 2017 to QM 2019? I've finally got things stable. I need QM to work as a desktop app (only--I don't do online or mobile) and I need both the conversion and operation to be as good...or better. Finances are too important to do right (and "messing about" with software on Quicken is too time consuming to so) for me to have to struggle with problems. Money for the upgrade is not a barrier. But time wasted or too little progress (toward the best Mac version, 2007) means I shall wait. Thanks for the great support offered here.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @DHClem Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is "how much better is Quicken 2019 versus 2017"! ;)  I'm not saying that to be flip, but because we all use different features of Quicken and track different things, and so there could be some people who are upset Quicken 2019 still doesn't have a particular features they've been waiting for for years, while others are happy with the improvements that have been made -- so it's hard to answer the question for others.

For instance, the first thing that pops to my mind is the improvements in reports, which, while still a work-in-progress, have advanced a lot over Quicken 2017. But you might be satisfied with being able to get the reports you need in Quicken 2017, and might consider improvements in this area of minimal importance. I'd probably forget to mention the bill presentment features, because I don't use them, but some people might consider that a big improvement. There's performance calculations for investments… transfer securities from one account to another… more customization of the screen (fonts, spacing, sidebar)… Rather than me trying to list everything that's new or improved or different, you can review the release notes from version 5.0 up to the current 5.12 to get a good idea of what has changed over the past two years.

In terms of your data file moving from 2017 to 2019 format, it's nothing like the move from Quicken 2007 to 2017; 2017 to 2019 should be pretty quick and seamless. But of course, there are data files with quirks from years or decades or updates, so no one can guarantee you'll have no issues with the update; the best I can say is most people don't have issues.

This all leads me to say that the best way for you to decide if you want to make the move forward is to buy a Quicken 2019 subscription and try it. You can run Quicken 2019 and Quicken 2017 side-by-side, make sure your data is the way you'd expect, and decide if you're happy with Quicken 2019. If not, ask for a refund within 30 days of purchase and carry on with Quicken 2017.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I can hardly express how appreciative I am (and I'm sure others are) for you taking the time (and so much!) to respond. Thanks, Jacobs...I'll do that.
This discussion has been closed.