Budgeting credit card payments that go to a specific category

Options
I am using (and loving) the budget feature, However, just ran into an issue. There are a select few things that I use my credit card for - namely larger planned purchases which I immediately pay off. The issue I am having (and I'm probably doing something incorrectly) is that by default the payment to the credit card company defaults to a transfer from my checking to the credit card (rightfully so), but in the budget, I want to plan/see where that money goes. For example, if I'm doing a house project and I need $500 of stuff from the hardware store, i have a line item in my budget for house project, plan for the $500 and then when the transaction hits, I set the category to house project....which works perfectly for budgeting....but now there is no longer a transfer to the credit card and my balance (in Quicken) still shows as $500.

Is there any way to keep the transfer and add a budget category?? And Again, most likely I am doing something incorrectly. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• Quick Questions
    Quick Questions Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thank you very much Scooterlam!!! Huge step forward for what I'm trying to do. The process you identified makes total sense. And has me almost there. Again, I think it's a user issue, so thanks in advance for your patience. I recorded as you showed above and in the accounts it works perfectly (correct balances) and for the house project in the budget, it's perfect too. The one thing I am missing is showing the credit card account in my budget. I went to Budget Actions->Select Categories->Select accounts and the CC is marked (All of my accounts are)....but in the Manage Budget Categories, the CC is not listed. I went to tools->Category list and the CC is there...I just can't get it to show in the budget. What am I missing?

Thank you again for your help!

Quick follow up - perhaps I just needed to remove the Transfer Out from the budget. That seems to eliminate the "double dip" that was happening in my budget. Am I on the right path?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @scooterlam, that's a GREAT graphic.  Where did it come from, OR how did you produce it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2019
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    @scooterlam, that's a GREAT graphic.  Where did it come from, OR how did you produce it?
    Thanks. I put it together using Powerpoint.
  • Quick Questions
    Options
    @Scooterlam - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Very thorough answer!! And I agree with @NotACPA - the graphic was very helpful.
    This 100% answered my question!
This discussion has been closed.