Online bank balance in quicken doesn't match my bank balance

Since the update my online balance in quicken is a large negative number and quicken wants me to add an adjustment - if quicken had the online balance that my bank has, it would reconcile without an adjustment. Quicken 2017 on windows 10

Best Answers

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the update....   Quicken 2017 on windows 10
    Do you mean an update to Qwin 2017 - What version --> Help --> About Quicken
    I've never had an issue reconciling my bank accounts - I can't do it for any of my Investment accounts...as the "cash" is always zero -
    You could look around in the Register and see if there is some bogus entry that has now caused the balance to report a negative...
    OR - let it add the adjustment - making it zero - and see what happens in the future, along with trying to find the root cause.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• > @Sherlock said:
    > As the online balance Quicken obtains is not reliably accurate, I suggest you reconcile using a statement obtained from the financial institution.

I could use the amount that I see logging in to my account, how do I get quicken to let me edit the online balance?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I could use the amount that I see logging in to my account, how do I get quicken to let me edit the online balance?
    You can't.  It's provided by your bank ... but depending upon your download method from that bank it MIGHT be several days out of date.
    Reconciling to a real statement (paper or downloaded) is always preferable.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    NotACPA said:

Reconciling to a real statement (paper or downloaded) is always preferable.
    I'm going to have to push back here. In my experience, using Direct Connect and EWC with ten different banking accounts (checking/savings/CC) I have never experienced an online balance that was incorrectly stated in Quicken.
    I consider this to be one of Quicken's best most recent features! I've used this for several years and have not reconciled to paper in over two years and have account registers reconciled daily.
    If a user is having an issue with reconciling to start, yes they should not turn on auto reconcile in the hopes that somehow, magically their account will reconcile. However, considering an account that reconciles reliably "to paper" is IMHO a strong candidate for online reconciliation.
    My $.02.
  • I've been using quicken for a very, very long time. Seems to be costing more and getting worse. But I've always reconciled to online balance without any issues. I unchecked the box on the online services tab that reconciled to online balance and entered in the amount the bank website had and it reconciled. I switched it back to online balance for tomorrow, guess we'll see how it works. Thanks to those of you that answered, much appreciated.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    I'm going to have to push back here. In my experience, using Direct Connect and EWC with ten different banking accounts (checking/savings/CC) I have never experienced an online balance that was incorrectly stated in Quicken.
    Me too - I've never seen a problem with reconciling - and in fact have caught a couple of errors I made when entering manual transactions that later didn't match up...
    BTW - I'm running QW R21.17 -
    and OP only said running Q2017 - but no release --- Help - About Quicken 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.