Main register screen shows multiple blank entries, making the last entries invisible

Robert Higgins
Robert Higgins Member ✭✭
:(:( I have to keep restoring the last backup that was updated, renaming it and having Quicken save it in the normal data folder.
My data is normally opened and saved on a file server, and I do a separate backup after every time of manually working in the file on a local drive for safekeeping.
When I have finished updating the file again (the restored file), I back it up to a local drive.
AFTER backing it up manually to a local drive, the BLANK entries show up again.
Restarting Quicken shows the blank entries.
The blank entries are entries that are really there, but can't be seen.
The main account now shows the last entry date of 07/12/19, but I just reconciled all of my accounts.
All of the accounts in Quicken have the same issue.

Quicken H,B & R info:
Year: 2019
Version: R21.17
Build: 27.1.21.17
Tagged:

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems
  • Robert Higgins
    Robert Higgins Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    :) This appears to be corrected.
    I want to thank everyone that helped.
    I had tried the file on a different machine with the same results, but ON THAT machine ran validate on the file WITH the blank lines, which REMOVED them and the data that was in them.
    Curing the issue was running validate on the correct file while it was showing the data BEFORE saving it again.
    I have added entries, backed up file, restarted Quicken several times and the correct data is still visible.
    Thanks again

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My data is normally opened and saved on a file server, and I do a separate backup after every time of manually working in the file on a local drive for safekeeping.
    When I have finished updating the file again (the restored file), I back it up to a local drive.
    AFTER backing it up manually to a local drive, the BLANK entries show up again.
    If I understand you are saving the Quicken data file to a server, this is the issue. Quicken requires the data file to be stored locally. You can then backup to the server your manual backups.
  • OK, I can change my methods on saving the file.
    ----BUT just NOW, I restored a LOCAL backup to a LOCAL folder, and Behold, the file looked as it should.
    HOWEVER, when I did a manual backup to a LOCAL folder, the empty entries reappeared after the backup was complete.
    Tonight, all process was completed on my LOCAL machine, and the empty entries reappeared, with the data starting to show for 07/12/19.

I'm wondering is reinstalling would cure it, or I wonder if the data file is corrupt????????
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how long is your file name and full path.  Quicken sometimes gets picky and wants your file name to be 8 characters or less with no spaces. So if your name is longer you might try renaming it to something shorter. After you change the name then close and open Quicken again. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thing to consider:

Filtered register? Unexpected register sort order? "Missing" data?

Please review https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7181795/faq-register-messed-up-missing-transactions-or-not-showing-transactions-as-it-used-to

• Robert Higgins
    Robert Higgins Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    :) This appears to be corrected.
    I want to thank everyone that helped.
    I had tried the file on a different machine with the same results, but ON THAT machine ran validate on the file WITH the blank lines, which REMOVED them and the data that was in them.
    Curing the issue was running validate on the correct file while it was showing the data BEFORE saving it again.
    I have added entries, backed up file, restarted Quicken several times and the correct data is still visible.
    Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.