Quicken Sounds checked but no sound. Sounds & speakers in all other programs are working fine.

Don STEWART
Don STEWART Member ✭✭
No sounds in Quicken

Best Answer

• Don STEWART
    Don STEWART Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    The Quicken Sounds are back, I went back to Windows Sound setting once again and this time I hit "APPLY" dialogue box after assigning each one of the Quicken wav. file for each Quicken operation. On previous attempts, I was assigning all the wav. files then hitting "APPLY" once. Hitting "APPLY" for each of the wav. files assigned did the trick and now all Quicken sounds are working normally. I'm still puzzled as to why the Quicken sounds suddenly stop working to begin with. Can anyone answer that question.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check and confirm that the Windows Sound Setting are setup correctly:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget the setting in Quicken in Edit / Preferences / Setup:
    "Turn on Quicken sounds" must have a checkmark.
  • Don STEWART
    Don STEWART Member ✭✭
    UKR The box is checked, reread my original question, "Quicken Sounds Checked"{
  • Don STEWART
    Don STEWART Member ✭✭
    Splasher, I've done this as well, assigned the correct sounds for each event, any other suggestion would be appreciated.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Don STEWART

Thank you for the responses and providing that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

If you are still unable to hear the sounds in Quicken, please go back to the Windows Sound Settings and select a sound then the "test" button - does the sound play at all?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Don STEWART
    Don STEWART Member ✭✭
    Windows sound and speakers working normally, after tweaking it a bit I did manage to get the Quicken sounds properly assigned to the proper Quicken wav. file, and the appropriate wav. file plays when I hit the test button but when using Quicken the only wav. file that plays regardless of what operation I perform, is the wav. file for opening program, any ideas?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Don STEWART

Thank you for checking.  May I ask, where is Quicken installed?  Is it installed to the default location in C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken or a different location?

Sarah
  • John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The problem is the sounds are not working in Quicken Premier 2019. Here are the details of my setup and situation. Following that is my analysis of the problem.

I have recently made the transition to Windows 10. I performed a fresh install of Windows 10, transferred all my user files to the new setup, reinstalled all my programs, including Quicken Premier 2019, Version R21.17. When I first installed Quicken, the sounds were disabled. I went to Edit > Preferences > Setup and found the setting Turn on Quicken sounds was unchecked. After checking the setting, sounds were working.

Sometime later the sounds stopped working. It is not clear what actions caused this to happen. I again went to the Turn on Quicken sounds setting. The setting was still enabled. I disabled sounds, restarted Quicken, re-enabled sounds, restarted Quicken. The sounds were still not working. I opened Control panel and the sound settings and verified that other Windows sounds are working.

This is where is gets interesting. In the Sound control panel, Sounds tab I looked through the Program Events list. I noticed that in the list, there is a section for Quicken. Under Quicken, NONE of the sounds had a sound assigned! As a test, I assigned the file qopen.wav from the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\Sounds. Lo and behold! The open sound worked!

So it appears that I could figure out which file is for each sound and assign it. (Which could be a PITA, because there are many sound files in that folder.) I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken and that did not fix the problem.

My question is what happened to these settings and how do I restore them? I think I know of a way, but it involves editing the Windows registry. This is something a user should not have to do. The missing settings are at: HKEY_CU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Quicken. I looked at the configuration for Open Program and saw the file I assigned under the .Current key. There is no item assigned under the .Default key. There are no entries for any other key under Quicken.

Is there anyone who can explain this and provide a supported way to restore the settings?
  • John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Before I saw this thread I had just posted a question regarding this issue. See my post: [removed self-reference to merged thread]

For me, something has happened that erased the sound settings in the registry. Someone needs to look into this. These settings appear to be per user. I found a complete set under another user's hive on my system. I could copy them to the user where the sounds aren't working.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Was browsing the thread.... just tried it on Win10 v 1903 - Qwin R21.17 -
    The only sound I get is for "program start" - no other sounds -
    All the Quicken assigned sounds "test" fine in the Windows "System Sound" setting.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\Sounds

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following is what I usually post in response to "No Quicken Sounds" discussions. Take a close look at item (3) in the list.

Quicken Sounds (Windows only. Mac has no sounds)

1) Make sure that the speakers are turned on and the volume is somewhat up (not all the way down) and not muted.
    2) In Quicken ensure that in Edit / Preferences / Setup "Turn on Quicken Sounds" has a checkmark. Restart Quicken if you had to make a change.
    3) Make sure that in Control Panel / Sound / Sounds tab the active Sound Scheme still contains the Quicken sound files. If the sound scheme was improperly modified by some other software (or Windows) update, find a different sound scheme which contains the Quicken sounds and make that the active sound scheme.

• Don STEWART
    Don STEWART Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    The Quicken Sounds are back, I went back to Windows Sound setting once again and this time I hit "APPLY" dialogue box after assigning each one of the Quicken wav. file for each Quicken operation. On previous attempts, I was assigning all the wav. files then hitting "APPLY" once. Hitting "APPLY" for each of the wav. files assigned did the trick and now all Quicken sounds are working normally. I'm still puzzled as to why the Quicken sounds suddenly stop working to begin with. Can anyone answer that question.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for telling us about how you resolved this problem. That'll help other users doing this ...
    :)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my sounds turned off in Preferences on purpose, but something, somewhere along the line blanked out all of my sound selections in Control Panel under Win10.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > I had my sounds turned off in Preferences on purpose, but something, somewhere along the line blanked out all of my sound selections in Control Panel under Win10.

This is the question I want answered by Quicken support. Why did the sounds settings disappear? There's a bug in there somewhere. Second, what is the easiest supported way for a non-technical person to restore them.
  • Mike Curran
    Mike Curran Member ✭✭
    This (loss of Quicken sounds) seems to happen sometimes but not always after a firmware update. The problem has to be on Quicken's end, it continues to occur occasionally and every time it does, I have to relearn how to fix it. It'd be nice if Quicken could figure out how to do a software update without making us all lose the sounds we've become accustomed to.

Getting off my soapbox now.
This discussion has been closed.