How to share business data without sharing personal home account data?

Options
Is it possible to share the business tab of my Quicken Home, Business and Rental software without sharing the accounts on my Home tab?

I'd like to share view and editing permissions with my business partner without him being able to access my personal accounts. Can you advise how to do this?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless you report your business on Schedule C in your personal tax return you should have your business in a separate data file.  

You can copy your data file with another name and then delete your personal accounts.  But that will mess up any transfers between Business and Personal.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BUT, as volvogirl implied, if it's all in one data file, there's no way to isolate the various functions from viewers of that data file.
    Q's security is at the data file level, not at the individual account or function level.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And does your partner have the same Quicken version installed to open the .qdf file?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• edellefemine
    Options
    thank you both for your replies. My partner will be using the same version as me.

My thought was to use my quicken license, for which I upgraded to include Business, for us to share collaboration on the data in the business tab, as we share this business.

I understand and agree with the suggestion of using a separate data file for this purpose rather then track that information within my personal .qdf file. What about sharing this new data file among two people? I imagine we'd use a cloud service such as dropbox to access the same file, which would limit us to 1 single user at a time, correct?

Can we take advantage of the Mobile & Web sync option to share this file for collaboration and access the same data file in the cloud? Could this be done using two different logins or is it only tied to a single account? I'd rather not share my login information since that'd also grant cloud access to my personal data file, no?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is your business structured? It almost sounds like you would be better off using Quickbooks Online for your business and Quicken for your personal finances.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is your business structured? It almost sounds like you would be better off using Quickbooks Online for your business and Quicken for your personal finances.
    Concur

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.