Quicken cannot open the data file because it is read only.....

Options
Quicken 2019 for windows, R22.12, Build 27.1.22.12. All PC's involved run Windows 10

Full text of the message is
"Quicken cannot open the data file because it is read-only or you do not have permission to open it. Do you want to copy it to a different location and open it from there?"

My wife and I share a data file on a common network drive for years now and through many upgrades to quicken along the way and a few weeks ago I got this message when I attempted to open quicken. I then tried to open the file from my wife's pc and both account that we have on a shared laptop all with the same issue. I did double check that sharing was still enabled on this network drive. Yes I know Quicken recommends only installing it on a local drive but we have had this successfully running this way for 9+ years

I copied the file onto my hard drive and I can access it but she now gets this message when she attempts to open it (my PC drive is also shared with her).

The file is not read-only and we are both administrators on all 3 PCs with sharing of other files that appear to work on both the network drive and the shared PC drives so it looks like it is just the quicken file. Did something change recently to cause this in one of the updates?

Thank you

Best Answer

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jpgolan said:
     Yes I know Quicken recommends only installing it on a local drive but we have had this successfully running this way for 9+ years
    Until now. There is a reason why this recommendation is important. Your data is at risk as you have found out. I suspect your file is corrupt beyond repair. Your recourse is to recover a backup as far back as need be to find one that exhibits "normal behavior". I would then run a file validate to ensure the file is still not corrupt. File>File Operations>Validate.
    I would encourage you to change your network usage of the data file. There are ways to share the data file to a network without risking data corruption. As in backup to network and restore from network. Not an elegant solution, but it is the only safe option currently.

Answers

• jpgolan
    jpgolan Member ✭✭
    Options
    added note
    We are not attempting to open the data file at the same time by multiple users, this strictly one user at a time and then closing the file so it can be opened by another.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jpgolan said:
     Yes I know Quicken recommends only installing it on a local drive but we have had this successfully running this way for 9+ years
    Until now. There is a reason why this recommendation is important. Your data is at risk as you have found out. I suspect your file is corrupt beyond repair. Your recourse is to recover a backup as far back as need be to find one that exhibits "normal behavior". I would then run a file validate to ensure the file is still not corrupt. File>File Operations>Validate.
    I would encourage you to change your network usage of the data file. There are ways to share the data file to a network without risking data corruption. As in backup to network and restore from network. Not an elegant solution, but it is the only safe option currently.
This discussion has been closed.