Canada: Need to set up joint accounts with separate credit cards at the same banks

I had gotten Quicken running awhile back but abandoned it after some setup difficulties. Now I want to get it right. Here is my case:
I want to use it like this. My wife and I have a joint savings and chequing accounts at bank A and bank B. Joint but she is primary user at bank A and me at bank B so our salaries and expenses go to different banks. We both have one credit card at each bank (ie I have credit cards for bank A and B and so does she). I have a line of credit at bank B and she has another credit card from Walmart Canada - This card was difficult to connect to Quicken. Has this changed.
We have individual logins for each bank. This is the only way for us to access our credit cards. Ie I cant see her credit card at bank A and B through my login and she cannot see mine and my line of credit through hers. This required me to use both logins to get all the credit card data into Quicken.
This is the problem. Quicken tried to duplicate the savings and checking accounts for both of us and made a muddle of the transactions. Not being a Quicken whiz or accountant I chucked the project and went back to Excel as I was spending more time fixing than using.
Just to complicate matters we have a car loan and mortgage and the usual household and kid related bills. Should I ignore assets like appliances?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We're not required to import every account Quicken finds at a financial institution when we authenticate.  I suggest you decide which joint accounts will use your financial institution sign in and which joint accounts will use your wife's financial institution sign in.  Then, when you're setting up the Online Services for the registers, choose ignore or link to existing based on the credentials is being used.
  • SouthNorthern
    SouthNorthern Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try that. I assume you mean i should use both credentials at each bank (to pull in the credit cards) but use hers only to pull the joint accounts at bank A (mine should ignore them) and vice versa at bank B?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I have a joint account at USB (in addition to our various individual accounts,both at USB and Fidelity Investments).
    Q is setup to use MY ID and pwd to access that account and download transactions from USB.
    Additionally, our American Airlines MasterCard that 2 cards (hers & mine) with different card numbers, but since we get one statement that contains transactions on both cards, it really doesn't matter which ID & Pwd I use to download into Q
    As long as they get downloaded into the proper account, does it really matter which ID is used?
    Short answer,I'd use "how many statements do I get" rather than "how many Login's do I have" as the key to setting up these accounts in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try that. I assume you mean i should use both credentials at each bank (to pull in the credit cards) but use hers only to pull the joint accounts at bank A (mine should ignore them) and vice versa at bank B?
    Correct.
  • SouthNorthern
    SouthNorthern Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > My wife and I have a joint account at USB (in addition to our various individual accounts,both at USB and Fidelity Investments).Q is setup to use MY ID and pwd to access that account and download transactions from USB.Additionally, our American Airlines MasterCard that 2 cards (hers & mine) with different card numbers, but since we get one statement that contains transactions on both cards, it really doesn't matter which ID & Pwd I use to download into Q
    > As long as they get downloaded into the proper account, does it really matter which ID is used?Short answer,I'd use "how many statements do I get" rather than "how many Login's do I have" as the key to setting up these accounts in Q.

Thanks.
    6 statements gross across 3 institutions (Her A and B + Walmart and my A and B + line of credit from B). Only the walmart card is joint but all transactions show in one statement so I ignore the second card. 5 logins - Ax2, Bx2, walmart
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 6 statements, I'd setup 6 accounts in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.