One Step Update - Constant Crashes - Windows 10

For the past several weeks, Quicken Premiere Subscription 2019 Release 22.12 Build 27.1.22.12 has been crashing after every One Step Update. I have to restart Quicken and start the One Step Update repeatedly. I will often get a red flag on an account, but there is no downloaded transaction. I then proceed to do additional one step updates (after restarting Quicken Windows app) and eventually I will get the downloaded transactions. This is now taking between 3 and 5 times daily of restarting Quicken after it crashes and doing One Step Update. I spoke to Manny in Quicken premium support yesterday (October 3, 2019) After a bit of troubleshooting, Manny told me that Windows Quicken cloud services (Box, Dropbox, etc.) are causing the crashes and this is a known problem to Quicken. He told me to pay for a third party to troubleshoot my Windows network settings. I refused to do this as I told him I had shut down all of the cloud services and am backing up my Quicken data to a usb drive instead of DropBox. I have also deleted all mobile Quicken apps from my IOS devices. if the cloud backup services are causing this problem, then not using cloud or mobile services should fix the problem. It does not. I've seen no alerts about this. This is beyond annoying and needs to fixed asap.

Comments

• Liz Renninger
    Liz Renninger Member ✭✭✭
    This has been happening to me as well for the past several weeks. I spoke to premium support yesterday (october 3). After a bit of troubleshooting, Premium support told me that all Windows Quicken cloud services (Box, Dropbox, etc.) are causing the crashes and this is a known problem. He told me to pay for a third party to troubleshoot my Windows network settings. I refused to do this as I told him I had shut down all of the cloud services and am backing up Quicken to a usb drive. I have deleted all mobile Quicken from my IOS devices so this should be solving the problem. It does not. I've seen no alerts about this. My system crashes daily after updating. The updates I do get will show a red flag but there is no downloaded transaction until i do several one step updates. This is beyond annoying and needs to fixed asap.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you performed the "Troubleshooting 101" tasks as outlined in my earlier post, exactly as documented?
    You had multiple crashes and that may have damaged your Quicken data file, possibly beyond repair.
    And, yes, do NOT allow cloud backup software to access your active Quicken data file while Quicken is running. Do NOT store the active data file on a networked drive or a drive mapped to a cloud backup service.

• Liz Renninger
    Liz Renninger Member ✭✭✭
    All updates have been installed. I'm 2019 Quicken Premiere Release 22.12 Build 27.1.22.12. I have validated my data file and there are no validation errors. Just to recap, Quicken has been crashing after every One Step Update. I have to restart Quicken and start the One Step Update repeatedly. I will often get a red flag on an account, but there is no downloaded transaction. I then proceed to do additional one step updates (after restarting Quicken Windows app) and eventually I will get the downloaded transactions. This is now taking between 3 and 5 times daily of restarting Quicken after it crashes and doing One Step Update. I spoke to Manny in Quicken premium support yesterday (October 3, 2019) After a bit of troubleshooting, Manny told me that Windows Quicken cloud services (Box, Dropbox, etc.) are causing the crashes and this is a known problem to Quicken. He told me to pay for a third party to troubleshoot my Windows network settings. I refused to do this as I told him I had shut down all of the cloud services and am backing up my Quicken data to a usb drive instead of DropBox. I have also deleted all mobile Quicken apps from my IOS devices. if the cloud backup services are causing this problem, then not using cloud or mobile services should fix the problem. It does not. I've seen no alerts about this. This is beyond annoying and needs to be fixed asap and I should not be required to hire an outside third party to look into Windows networking.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?

The Quicken Cloud is not for backup, it's only to sync for Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web. Are you using either of those? Are you sure you disabled Quicken Mobile?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Liz Renninger
    Liz Renninger Member ✭✭✭
    I have no idea about a controlled folder access for windows defender. I use Kaspersky as my anti virus and firewall. I understand that quicken cloud is not for backup. I have disabled that feature in one step update. I have also disabled Drop Box and am backing up to a USB drive. Now that I've disabled Drop box completely, the constant crashes seem to be lessening. Quicken appears now to be having issues with American Express downloads. AMEX is has disabled all third party aggregators (like Quicken). if it's not one thing......
  • jvogelaar
    jvogelaar Member ✭✭
    Liz, I have this same issue, have for two or three weeks now. Can update single accounts without trouble, but when run all (without cloud services) I run into trouble.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jvogelaar Have you tried going to OSU settings and unchecking all boxes except one and then running OSU? Check another box and rerun until you find the problem account.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • TB Agent
    TB Agent Member ✭✭
    I tried everything from totally remove quicken and re-installing this time even tried to validating files and program with no avail.
  • TB Agent
    TB Agent Member ✭✭
    I think I might have the solution.

Delete all temp files from your computer either by using something like ccleaner, or Windows 10 - setting - system - storage and select for temp file to be delete and run now.

I manually deleted my temp files, the files are located at:

c:\users\"usersname"\AppData\Local\Temp

Then restart Quicken, and be sure cloud sync is not check, then let one step update run, it might show there is a quicken update, run the update. After Quicken restarts, go to Mobile & Web and sync to the cloud.

Turn cloud sync back on in one step update.

Good Luck
  • colpliscol
    colpliscol Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. Every time that I run One Step Update, Quicken hangs and I have to force stop it with Task Manager. When I restart Quicken and run One Step Update it works fine. This happens every day when I do my Quicken tasks. First attempt at One Step Update hangs Quicken, I force-close Quicken, restart Quicken and run One Step Update and the update works.
  • Paul Lang
    Paul Lang Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm having the same problem with One Step Update. I tried rebooting. I tried forced to shut down. I don't want to try deleting selected files. (Removed-off topic/rant)
  • Paul Lang
    Paul Lang Member ✭✭
    Somehow, I got One Step Update to work again. I tried first thing this morning and had the same failure I have been getting. Then I tried to restore Quicken to before the last software update (10/30 on my records). The restore worked, the One Step Update failed. So I then restored to the last file I had (11/4). Then the One Step Update worked - and has worked again since. Don't know why it is working - doubt it is a change from Quicken (today is Sunday) - but I'll take it. Still not a happy customer.
This discussion has been closed.