Memo Prints Low

Hello, Quicken Community. On my iMac, I use Quicken v5.12.5.

About Printing of Checks all appears fine, Except for the placement of the Memo line. The Memo line prints way-too Low. In fact, on _my_ checks, the Memo line brushes on top of the pre-printed data at the bottom of the check. [That is, on top of the Check Number & on-top of just the start of my Account Number.]

So is there a way to raise _just_ the Memo line? Thank you. :-)

Best Answer

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a shot in the dark ...
    Do make sure that the printer's System Properties correctly define the page format as 8.5*11" Letter size paper at 100% size, no reduction or enlargement factor specified. If the printer is set to Auto-detect paper format and type, the results may be incorrect.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Bob@37 said:
    Hello, Quicken Community. On my iMac, I use Quicken v5.12.5.

About Printing of Checks all appears fine, Except for the placement of the Memo line. The Memo line prints way-too Low. In fact, on _my_ checks, the Memo line brushes on top of the pre-printed data at the bottom of the check. [That is, on top of the Check Number & on-top of just the start of my Account Number.]

So is there a way to raise _just_ the Memo line? Thank you. :-)
    Bob, this issue has been discussed for years...sorry there does not seem an adequate fix: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7724004

• Bob@37
    Bob@37 Member ✭✭
    About the Memo line printing too low, on checks: Darn ... Darn ... Darn !

But ... I thank you at letting me know. :-)

I _must_ wonder, "Why in the world has this problem so-Endured?" What is the problem with the makers of Quicken for Mac?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Bob@37 said:
    I _must_ wonder, "Why in the world has this problem so-Endured?" What is the problem with the makers of Quicken for Mac?
    I think they believe it works for most users who print checks… who are probably a small-ish subset of Quicken Mac users. And "fixing" the issue -- making the different check elements independently adjustable -- likely requires completely re-writing the old check-printing section of code (which remains from the predecessor Quicken Essentials). Bottom line: a lot of work to fix an issue a relatively small number of users are dealing with translates to something lower down on the (very long) list of priorities. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's just keep this a simple request:
    Raise the Memo line by 1/6" or 1/8" so it's clear off the MICR code line.
    A complete rewrite of check printing is not requested here, even though it would be nice to have.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @UKR As John pointed out above, it was raised at one point, but then users complained it was visible in the bottom of window envelopes.

I'm not sure they can currently raise it only a tiny amount, rather than a full line, because I think the problem is that everything it prints is a block of text; the block can be moved up or down, or blank lines can be added or removed, but individual lines can't be moved a fraction of a line up or down. Unless they re-write some or all the code there.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Bob@37
    Bob@37 Member ✭✭
    Aaargh. But I thank you at answering. :-)
  • Bob@37
    Bob@37 Member ✭✭
    Still no answer as-of 12 Nov. I guess that I need to get-used to a mis-placed memo. < Sigh! >
  • kelzk
    kelzk Member ✭✭
    The date prints over the pre-printed numbers at the top. The $ amount does not line up with the pre-printed $ sign. If I adjust that down, the memo prints over routing/account numbers at the bottom.
    Quicken: death by a thousand little cuts.
    Is there a product out there that does this properly??
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    kelzk said:
    The date prints over the pre-printed numbers at the top. The $ amount does not line up with the pre-printed $ sign. If I adjust that down, the memo prints over routing/account numbers at the bottom.
    Quicken: death by a thousand little cuts.
    Is there a product out there that does this properly??

Are you using personal size checks, 3 checks to a sheet? If so, change your printer setup to choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks"
This discussion has been closed.