Reconcilliation 2

I have been able to re-reconcile back to Jan 2019. Problem is that every month the reconciliation balance never balances with my statements. Perhaps I should call support?

Best Answers

• William Mulliken
    William Mulliken Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I will try the Validate and repair option and do a backup before!

Thank you

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Problem is that every month the reconciliation balance never balances with my statements."

Why not? 
    A common problem with reconciliations is that the new month's Beginning Balance doesn't match the prior month's Ending Balance.  And the cause of that, absent some underlying data corruption, is typically caused by some "prior period" transaction either being altered in some way or deleted.  If this is what you're seeing then I'd recommend using File > Set password to modify transactions... and password protecting transactions for earlier dates.  You can still modify or delete prior period transactions if you need to, but at least you're warned about the change.
  • Ah yes the horse is out of the barn :-(
    Late last summer I contacted what I thought was Quicken Support and let them on board to check out this issue. When they wanted over $300+ to fix it, I knew I was not with Quicken support and ended the phone session - and their ability to be in my software. So now I feel there is corruption starting who knows when.

Should I continue to re-reconcile one month at a time till the beginning balance agrees with the previous ending? I've the time to do that, but it would be nice if I could re-reconcile do all records in a month at once!

Thank you for your help
  • William Mulliken
    William Mulliken Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I will try the Validate and repair option and do a backup before!

Thank you
  • OK,

I copied, Validated etc and found three deposits that were corrupted and followed instructions to delete and replace.
    All that is fine, however there was a whole page of statements where "Categorys were changed from "Business Expense" to "Personal Expense" etc. I don't understand any or that.

Lastly, a new account was added labelled as "Checking XX0012" that contains almost $5,000 starting on 7/21/19. (why that date?) That file holds 29 transactions, 21 of were memoed as "Reordered checks", and the remaining transactions were mostly deposits.???

And my next steps might be.......
    (Thanks again)

WEM
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • I backup to One Drive and have no controlled Access. This morning an Unidentified Network showed up in my system and says it is connected. I cannot get rid of it for there is no Disconnect button. Windows was geared for an update this morning too, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.??
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken can pretty easily go sideways in any "networked" situation, and even the use of OneDrive can cause problems, which I'm certain Greg_the_Geek can explain. 
    It would be OK to backup Quicken to your computer and then put the backup onto OneDrive or, if you needed to use a backup, moving the backup off of OneDrive and back to your computer, then using that file.  Problems can arise (as I understand it) by trying to use OneDrive as simply another drive attached to your computer.
This discussion has been closed.