Most Recent Update does not open. The program crashes before it can even open the file.

Is anyone else having this problem? Are the developers working to resolve this?

Best Answer

• Margaret Somers
    Margaret Somers Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Andyuhler on another thread located a backup file and restored from that. I was finally able to get that to work.

Thank you Greg_the_Geek, Miklk, and Splasher for helping me troubleshoot.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    A crash that early is usually an install problem.

I would suggest uninstall/reinstall 1st
    If still a problem:

Try qcleanui procedure to uninstall/reinstall complete clean to repair any old conflicts including old folder/files
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Quicken start (without opening a file) by holding down the CTRL key when you double-click on the Quicken program icon?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher - yes Quicken will open with ctrl+double-click the program icon. I then get the initial screen of "start a new file" or "updating an existing file." I browse to find my file and then the program crashes. I've used Quicken since 2003 and it opened on 11/13 the last time I was in it and thankfully backed it up.
  • Miklk - I've used Quicken for numerous years. I didn't install the program the other day but I think it automatically installed updates that is causing this. I'll try the uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
  • Greg_the_Geek

Path to the folder that contains my Quicken data file (it's on a flash drive - has been for over a year): e:\Quicken\Quicken File\ then the file, the Sync_Log.dat file, & the OFXLOG.dat file.

Windows defender is off because I'm running HitManPro, McAfee LiveSafe (the firewall is enabled thru McAfee), & I have a VPN that is on anytime the computer is on.

My backup is on my flash drive in the following directory: e:\Quicken\Quicken Backup\ then the file.
  • Is Windows Defender a Windows 10 program? I cannot locate it. I am currently on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1. I do have to update this month or next.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried moving your Quicken data file to you local C:\ drive and then opening it? It's not recommended to access your data file from a flash drive. Also, have you tried validating your data file?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that Quicken starts without opening the file points to a problem with the data file.
    Start Quicken again without opening a file and then do a file validation:
    File->File Operations->Validate&Repair

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek, I was going to move it then this occurred. I'll try the validate & repair next to see if that helps.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Please move your file before validating. 
  • Ok, I have validated both the file on the hard drive and the file on the flash drive. I have attempted to open both and to restore from a backup. I have uninstalled the program, ran the Qcleanui file, and reinstalled the program. It will not open anything. When I open Quicken, I get the screen about "I'm New" or "I'm Upgrading." When I choose "I'm New" to make a new file, the program just closes. When I choose "I'm Upgrading," I get a message that it will overwrite the open file, but the program does not go on to open the file. It just stays at that screen.
  • Margaret Somers
    Margaret Somers Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Andyuhler on another thread located a backup file and restored from that. I was finally able to get that to work.

Thank you Greg_the_Geek, Miklk, and Splasher for helping me troubleshoot.
This discussion has been closed.