Not able to link account to financial institution - instead creates duplicate account

Options
I am an experienced user and have multiple accounts linked to financial institutions. Last week when I tried to create a new account and link it, I got a weird set of prompts. All pages were normal until I got to the part where it should ask the name of your financial institution. Instead I was asked for the nickname of the account along with the normal account creation prompts. Sure enough, if you follow the prompts you end up with a duplicate account without any linkage.

I of course tried online Quicken support and was told (despite the tech knowing I was on the most current release) to download the 270 MB mondo patch. To my great delight the 56k baud modem that Quicken was using showed the download time as 1 hour and 3 minutes. 30 minutes later the download failed and got to do it again. When I reconnected with Quicken support they said there was no reason to download the mondo patch as I was on current release. Instead they started with the: "it must be your data file..."

Having had poor results with Quicken online support and their absolute refusal to escalate, I am hoping that there may be other users that are having similar issues. For you power users, see if you can create an account and get to the Financial Institution linkage page.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Frustrated Long Term Customer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Sarah

Issue solved with a suggestion for new error message or warning.

You are correct, I had created the account previously and was trying to add online capabilities. Instead of giving me an error message, or warning, that the financial institution was not supported it created the duplicate account.

Thank you for everyone’s time.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try that again.  It sounds like you used "Advanced setup" and clicked the button next to "I want to enter my transactions manually."  That would put you on the page asking for the Account name/nickname.  I'd guess that you then attempted to enable online services and perhaps forgot to "link" but instead clicked through with the default "add".

I just tried this with my 2 Schwab Bank accounts and things worked "as expected."
    Options
    Thanks for trying. I am definitely not clicking on the advanced set up as that isn’t even an option. The screen I get after going into “edit - online services” has “online set up” with “set up now” in a box. When I click that I get a page that has a header: activate one step update. The first question is “account name/nickname”, the next question is “this account is used primarily for” with two buttons for personal or business, I.e I am in the set up new account page.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Frustrated Long Term Customer

Thank you for that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

Based on the behavior described, it sounds like Quicken is trying to add the new account as a "manual" account automatically, which may indicate that downloads for that Financial Institution are not supported.

To confirm that theory, may I ask what the name of the Financial Institution is?  Or if you prefer, the full list of supported Financial Institutions is also available here.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Sarah

Issue solved with a suggestion for new error message or warning.

You are correct, I had created the account previously and was trying to add online capabilities. Instead of giving me an error message, or warning, that the financial institution was not supported it created the duplicate account.

Thank you for everyone’s time.
This discussion has been closed.