How do I exclude Retirement Account interest, dividends, and capital gains from the tax planner?

Options
I have been using the tax planner as we approach year end and couldn't understand why interest, dividends, and capital gains were higher than expected until I realized that those from retirement accounts were included. I have run reports outside of the planner and adjusted the amount manually but I feel there should be a way to exclude these accounts from the tax planner so that it works automatically without the extra work. The accounts ARE marked as tax deferred. Any ideas? Quicken for Windows 2020, release 27.1.23.17 (updated today).

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    The only way that would happen is if the accounts were not set up properly as IRAs or 401ks with the tax-deferred option selected.  Look at Account Details for your retirement accounts to verify they are set up as tax-deferred retirement accounts.
  • T Herbert
    T Herbert Member ✭✭
    Options
    They are marked as tax deferred. After researching this online over the last few days, I checked that and they were already marked as tax deferred.
  • markus1957
    Options
    When you go to Tools>Account List do you find the problem accounts listed under the Retirement Accounts section?
  • T Herbert
    T Herbert Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes. They are in the Retirement Accounts section.
  • markus1957
    Options
    I did not see this in the previous version R23.14.  Did you? I'm running a beta version now so I'll defer to someone who has updated to R23.17 to verify this is a new behavior.  If so, it's a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.
  • T Herbert
    T Herbert Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes. I saw it earlier this week and did not update until today to R23.17. I have noticed the same behavior for some time. I have used this Quicken file for about 15 years, but the retirement accounts are new in the last year.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I'm running R23.17. and I'm not seeing the issue described.
    When I go to the Tax Planner, and click on "Interest/Dividend Income" and then click on "Dividends", I'm only seeing dividends from our Taxable accounts (hers and mine) and nothing is included from our various "Personal Retirement" accounts ... which includes a couple of IRA type accounts, her 403B accounts
    Here's how one of the IRAs is setup in Q

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• T Herbert
    T Herbert Member ✭✭
    Options
    I ran a file validation and accounts that were showing as tax deferred previously changed to not being tax deferred after the validation. I have changed them back to tax deferred and the income from those accounts is now not showing in the tax planner.
This discussion has been closed.