Bills and Income Reminders Graph - Corrupted

jtweeks
jtweeks Member ✭✭
I am a long-time user of Quicken (DOS days) and am a current subscriber of Quicken Windows Premier. Currently, my checking account has a healthy balance but the Reminders graph of that account shows I am considerably in the red. I have had this problem in the past and it was corrected by restoring a previous backup. Now, however, much water is over the dam and I do not want to restore from that old a version. I have tried all the file validation/repair options and have recently uninstalled/reinstalled. I just want the graph to reflect reality.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I think I had the exact same problem that has been frustrating me for over a year now. My checking account has a healthy balance but the projected balances chart shows I have negative $120K and the amount would change by an additional -$3,285.45 on the 20th of every month. When it works right, this chart is very helpful with planning future finances and cash flow. I tried many of the same things you did including deleting and recreating all of my scheduled transaction to no avail. I also opened a support case with Quicken but they could not help. But today after reading through this post, I found my problem!
    At some point in the past when Quicken added the feature to download online bills, I added my two Discover cards. The problem with this was that the due date would be the 20th of each month but they actually draft the payments from my checking account a few days before the due date. Since I could not change the date it downloaded in my reminders to the actual transaction date, I decided to turn off the automatic bill download and go back to using the manual scheduled transaction. Today, I found my way to the Bill & Income / Bills screen and found 2 Discover Card bills from March 20, 2017 for the exact amount that my register was getting off each month. This is the only place these bills show up. I was able to tell it to skip the current and all future payments for this bill. I then was able to delete these (and all other) online bills. VOILA!! My report graph now shows the correct balance for my checking account!
    I have been using Quicken since 1994. It used to be a great program with no issues. Now they force you to purchase an upgrade every 2 years and to make you feel like your getting something for your money, they make needless changes and add features that don't work right and lead to corruption. Very frustrating. I wouldn't mind paying an annual fee and not having to upgrade to a new version as each new version never seems to fix old problems but always causes new ones. Anyways - I hope this info helps you or anyone else.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious - where or how do you display this... Account Reminders Graph ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Bill and Income Reminders graph
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using? 
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Are you referring to the small graph at the bottom of the "Bill and Income Reminders" widget on one of your Home pages?
    Those widgets sometimes lose their minds. The standard remedy is to remove the widget from the view and then add it back. This forces it to refresh and should then show the correct values.
    PS: Make more backups so you always have a recent one.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Quicken Premier - Year 2020 - Version R23.17 - Build 27.1.23.17

I'll work on getting an image for you.
  • jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    The following image shows the reminders graph displaying a negative balance for most of the month when, in fact, there was a considerable positive balance.
    Other accounts are showing the graph correctly.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    jtweeks said:
    Bill and Income Reminders graph
    Do you mean the line graph from --> Bills & Income --> Projected Balances -
    EDIT - OH.... I see it's the graph from the overall Manage Bills & Income - checkbox -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    One more comment - File Validation (and Super Validation) both continue to indicate:

"Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders."

Every time I do file validation - the same message.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there is a hidden past due reminder impacting the register balance.  I suggest opening the register and verifying verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.  Then, set the register to show reminders: press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Reminders to show in register and choose Next 7 days.  Hopefully, by reviewing the running balance, you'll be able to spot the rogue reminder.  Sorting the register by the Clr column may help.  Once you find the reminder, right-click on the reminder and choose an appropriate action.
  • jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock, Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I was not aware I could choose to include reminders on the register view. Unfortunately, the resulting register was unchanged. I could not find any rogue entry and the running balance is the same.

Right now I am deleting all of my reminders in hopes that that may clear the issue. So far I have deleted about half, but the problem remains and validate is still telling me that there it has deleted a damaged reminder.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    After you delete your reminders, do a File > File Operations > Copy and validate the copy. That particular Copy operation lifts your data records out of the database and drops them into fresh new tables, leaving behind items marked as deleted, so is a good thing to do after a major deletion.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Deleted all existing reminders (that I can see). Still has corrupted reminder graph - still has validation indicating a damaged reminder has been deleted.
  • jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Thanks Rocket J Squirrel - tried the copy and validate process which ended up eliminating the validation note of the removed damaged reminder - but the initial issue of the corrupted reminder graph still exists.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    The only thing left I can think of is a Super Validate. None of us users know precisely what this does over and beyond a regular validate because they won't tell us. It's rumored to remedy some unusual situation, we just don't know what. It's worth a try.
    File > File Operations > CTRL+SHIFT+Validate. The resulting dialog should show you Super Validate where Validate was before. Good luck.

• jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Super validate had no issues and the problem remains.

I guess starting anew may be the only real answer. May not be worth the effort. :/
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I think I had the exact same problem that has been frustrating me for over a year now. My checking account has a healthy balance but the projected balances chart shows I have negative $120K and the amount would change by an additional -$3,285.45 on the 20th of every month. When it works right, this chart is very helpful with planning future finances and cash flow. I tried many of the same things you did including deleting and recreating all of my scheduled transaction to no avail. I also opened a support case with Quicken but they could not help. But today after reading through this post, I found my problem!
    At some point in the past when Quicken added the feature to download online bills, I added my two Discover cards. The problem with this was that the due date would be the 20th of each month but they actually draft the payments from my checking account a few days before the due date. Since I could not change the date it downloaded in my reminders to the actual transaction date, I decided to turn off the automatic bill download and go back to using the manual scheduled transaction. Today, I found my way to the Bill & Income / Bills screen and found 2 Discover Card bills from March 20, 2017 for the exact amount that my register was getting off each month. This is the only place these bills show up. I was able to tell it to skip the current and all future payments for this bill. I then was able to delete these (and all other) online bills. VOILA!! My report graph now shows the correct balance for my checking account!
    I have been using Quicken since 1994. It used to be a great program with no issues. Now they force you to purchase an upgrade every 2 years and to make you feel like your getting something for your money, they make needless changes and add features that don't work right and lead to corruption. Very frustrating. I wouldn't mind paying an annual fee and not having to upgrade to a new version as each new version never seems to fix old problems but always causes new ones. Anyways - I hope this info helps you or anyone else.
  • jtweeks
    jtweeks Member ✭✭
    Eureka !! Excellent solution which worked great. That was my issue also. Hopefully others will discover your note and apply your solution. :)
This discussion has been closed.