% of account/holdings?

qmac 2020 - investing page - how do I display a column of % of holdings or account?
I can display <group by security> total shares and value over several brokerage & IRA
accounts, along with total market value across these accounts, but can't (no column to
select) display "% of market value?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You cannot change the columns to display this in Quicken for Mac 2020.

You can, however, select the Portfolio view that best displays what you need, and click on the share icon (upper right) and choose to export to CSV. Open in Excel.

There, you could setup formulas to display the % of market value (or other calculations) as you desire. Obviously, this is one point in time, but it might help you out.
  • szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    john,

I knew before I posted that it wasn't possible?

suggesting one venture outside of quicken to accomplish this is kinda the
    opposite reason that I and others bought quicken. even thought I'm aware
    of excel's power & how to import sh price, shs etc from my brokerage, which
    if you think about it would mean I wouldn't need quicken 2020 at all?

I began this support thread to see if I'm the only one that finds it odd that I can
    use qmac 2020 investing display to see "total market value" of a specific equity
    across multiple brokerage accounts, yet displaying % of total market value is
    unavailable as a selection?

maybe I'm using support in the wrong way, the questions I've posed here are
    answered in ways that lead me away from quicken or suggest post, pray & wait?

has anyone ever asked for this column view?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2019
    My apologies: being that your first line contained "how do I display a column of % of holdings or account?", I interpreted that as a question.

But, I agree: having to do it in a spreadsheet is less than ideal. These are basic metrics many users expect. They just added in some performance calculations like IRR, but anything else is scant. Others have asked for this or similar. (Asset class % is a popular one.)

You are using support in the correct way, but this is mostly a user to user forum. So, us fellow users can really only advise/confirm what you can/can't do and possible workarounds (even if they are limited.) That is why I suggested what I did.

We are praying and waiting for better investing features as well.
  • szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    john,

with respect, it IS a question, I was thinking that support here was how to
    make simple changes that are entirely possible given the app already gives
    total market value of individual equities across multiple brokerage accounts.

the reason I asked if I'm using this support correctly is that the responses lead
    me away from this product, as your answer did, rather than teach or help
    improve this product?

somehow after using quicken on/off for over 20 years, I wonder how did it
    become this successful as it questions such as mine are mute on most
    brokerage web pages?

I would be embarrassed if someone asked why a feature was missing and
    my team led them away from the product rather than giving them an avenue
    to input change?

but that's just me! post, pray & wait makes my think we're still dealing with
    the previous owners of quicken?

dave
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Dave, John and others of us here are just fellow Quicken users, trying to provide insights and information about how we all use and get the most out of Quicken. We don't work for Quicken and can't control the future direction of product development other than to post Idea requests -- and there is an existing post asking for this feature here. So, yes, other users would like to see this functionality, and I encourage you to go to that page and to add your vote for this feature by clicking the little gray arrow under the vote count in the blue box.

The developers have multiple hundreds of feature requests from users, and they are making progress tackling them, but it will take years for all of them to be addressed. One user's top wish is someone else's "not important", and visa versa, so they have to prioritize the order in which they work on things. When any one particular feature like this will get tackled depends on myriad factors: how many people they think would be impacted, how critical it is to implement (e.g. are there workarounds which aren't optimal but get the job done), how complex the change is to implement, how if fits in with other modifications to the same portion of the code, which programmers are assigned to which projects, etc. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    jacobs,

I get it that the super users here aren't paid, and do not work for quicken.

I don't understand how providing work arounds outside the program is
    helping get quicken to move forward? if this feature wasn't available at most
    every brokerage's web view, I could understand your sentiment. this isn't
    rocket science, as the investment view already summarizes 'total market
    value' over multiple accounts, it's just plain lazy to not have this simple
    feature on the leading personal financial software?

sorry, I get frustrated when I ask a question and get led away from the
    answer, rather than keep the discussion focused on solving the problem.
    I usually operate by the 'can't or won't' mantra... if you can't, then I need
    to speak to someone who can, if you won't then we have to talk about why
    and how it effects our future? speaking into the rabbit hole (no one listening)
    or

and I'm betting that the discussion we've had here has generated about as
    many keystrokes as accomplishing % of portfolio, you even agreed on the
    vote thread...

"Yup, I think that would be a good addition to the choice of columns, and a simple one for the programmers to add."

that was MARCH 26th, has quicken ignored this simple fix, available on most
    every brokerage web page, sine MARCH 26th? I truly am hoping this is MARCH
    26th of 2019?

perhaps the super users like yourself could garner a direct line to quicken
    support to allow information to flow to/from the manufacturer? if not, then
    I see this new life (split from intuit) as very much following the same path,
    as work arounds lead users/customers outside this program, they get
    alienated and eventually seek out the completion?

I myself have done this twice since starting w/qwin in 95.
    and I had such high hopes after divestiture.
  • jacobs
    szzz said:
    I don't understand how providing work arounds outside the program is
    helping get quicken to move forward?
    Providing a workaround helps users get around limitations in the program. I don't understand how it would be better to not suggest a way to get the result someone is looking for.

This website is partly about users suggesting and voting on new ideas, but it's mostly about helping each other use Quicken as best possible. Sometimes that's explaining how Quicken works, revealing hidden features, correcting users doing something wrong. Sometimes it's commiserating over something we wish worked differently. Sometimes it's sharing ways to work around limitations of the program.

When you started this thread, you asked a straightforward question: "How do I display a column of % of holdings or account?" You received an answer that there is no way to do this currently, and were offered a possible work-around to use for now. It's up to you to decide you don't want to use the work-around, but I don't know why you're blaming the fellow users here who tried to answer your question for not somehow getting the program changed to do what you want. 
  • szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > Providing a workaround helps users get around limitations in the program. I don't understand how it would be better to not suggest a way to get the result someone is looking for.
    >

I'm right there with you, till you suggest a method of result NOT using the
    program we've bought and should expect results.

> @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > When you started this thread, you asked a straightforward question: "How do I display a column of % of holdings or account?" You received an answer that there is no way to do this currently, and were offered a possible work-around to use for now. It's up to you to decide you don't want to use the work-around, but I don't know why you're blaming the fellow users here who tried to answer your question for not somehow getting the program changed to do what you want. 
    >

if I would have asked a question in a search engine, I would have expected
    answers leading other places, but given I asked the question in a qmac forum
    I expect the answer to be quicken concentric.

again, most are smart enough to know if a column isn't available for selection,
    and it's a commonly displayed metric on financial web sites, that the program
    is seriously out of touch.

to add, I'm not blaming others for features that aren't present, I'm suggesting
    that providing work arounds outside of this program is enabling this program
    to continue to overlook glaring items as you said "simple for one
    programmers to add?"

have you and other super users really been so patient since MARCH 26th
    (hopefully 2019?) that this simple issue got eyes? perhaps the programmers
    took the csv work around as a solution and ignored all others post, pray &
    waiting?

none the less, we have both provided potentially more keystrokes than it
    would take to accomplish an additional column in data base file?
    yet there is no accountability that voices are heard, einstien had a famous
    quote that would apply here!

I salute you and other super users in helping others use quicken, I don't
    and won't understand covering quicken's shortfalls by leading users outside
    the program, that's what search engines do, not quicken support?

now if you'd like help me & others with this and other issues get resolution,
    please start a thread. if not, I can't devote any more effort in continuing the
    status quo, as this issue clearly demonstrates the customers are being
    ignored on the most minor common functions of a leading personal
    financial program. I'd be ashamed to tell my customers I hadn't
    addressed their concerns since MARCH 26th 2019?
  • jacobs
    Okay, so per your repeated statements, here is the answer you apparently would have preferred from the user community:

Your question: "How do I display a column of % of holdings or account?"
    Answer: It cannot be done in Quicken Mac, at this time. You can express your interest in such a feature by voting here, and if/when that idea gets dozens or hundreds of votes, it will be considered for a future update.

• szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    it doesn't sit well with me that your more worried about what
    I would prefer rather than finding a way to get solutions,
    as you described as a simple fix?

it tells me the intuit way hasn't changed, and for that I am sad.
  • jacobs
    @szzz You don't seem to grasp that I have no way of bending the Quicken  development team to do what you want or what I think they should do. 

You keep saying you are looking for a solution to this one very specific feature, which doesn't currently exist. You keep saying that you're disappointed it hasn't been done already, and that you're frustrated I am not "finding a way to get solutions." I think it's well documented here, and in the separate Idea thread where people can vote on it. That is what we can do. That is all we can do. I don't know what you're expecting me to say or do to change that reality.

And when someone offers you a way to fairly quickly get the information you want, you're upset that because we've offered a work-around, you believe it is contributing to the developers not working on this feature you want. We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I really don't believe the programmers have considered this feature and decided not to do it because John pointed out a way to get the results in Excel; I believe they haven't done it because they perceive (and user voting on this site somewhat backs up) that there are higher priority needs.

Dave, I do create posts on this site for things I want; I vote for posts for things I want. I write lengthy posts about things I want. I've created compilation posts when I've seen multiple users complaining about the same or related problems, to try to give such issues greater visibility to the developers. I have a long list of features I would like to see them implement. It frustrates me that their small development team makes progress more slowly than I'd wish. It frustrates me that they don't have a better system for gathering and evaluating user requests. It frustrates me that they don't do a better job of communicating with their users about what they are (and aren't) doing.

On the other hand, I'm encouraged that they are making progress, year after year, in building Quicken Mac into a more robust product. And that they clearly do listen to user feedback and requests. 

I'd say that this seems like something they should do, can do and, if I were to guess, likely will do at some point in the future. But I'd also tell you that this, in my opinion, doesn't seem as critical a need as some other features they've already committed to work on and are hopefully working on at this moment or the near future.

You're entitled to disagree and say this is your number one need for Quicken. We Quicken users disagree quite a lot on which features we most urgently want or need, because we all use Quicken differently. (Just to give one quick example: while I can calculate my portfolio allocation from time to time in Excel if I want to, I cannot calculate on my own the cost basis and capital gains of my mutual funds holdings, because they use average cost basis and Quicken only supports LIFO or FIFO valuations -- so for me, adding the average cost basis calculation would be a higher priority need than percent of portfolio calculation.)

I don't think I can add any more to this discussion, so I'm going to bow out now.
  • szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    you do realize that the number of keystrokes in your last response probably
    exceeded the amount necessary for a data base programmer to accomplish
    addition of a % column?

this isn't a want on my part, it's a tool included in most every broker's web
    view. how busy is it that the developers missed this? how DEEP removed from
    their customers are they from hearing simple issues for years.

I just object to making excuses for behavior that went the wrong way
    under previous mgmt.

sorry that it's not clear why this is significant.
This discussion has been closed.