i have a home I built starting ion 1977. I keep records and want to input the data . How can I do th

Options

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes you can set up an Asset Account for the house.  You can enter all the old transactions.  You can enter past dates.  If you don't want the old transactions to affect other accounts like your checking you can make it a transfer into the same account you are in (like back to the House Account).  Then it will be one sided and wont go anywhere.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes you can set up an Asset Account for the house.  You can enter all the old transactions.  You can enter past dates.  If you don't want the old transactions to affect other accounts like your checking you can make it a transfer into the same account you are in (like back to the House Account).  Then it will be one sided and wont go anywhere.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• terrycarroll
    Options
    Thanks. I;ll try this and see how far I can get.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I assume, for the moment, that the payments for costs associated with the building of the home - cash disbursed, credit card debt incurred - were not recorded in Quicken and that at this point you want to have a "House" Account in Quicken that details these costs.
    Normally, if you were using Quicken at the time you'd enter the cash disbursed or the credit card charges, making entries in your checking Account, reducing cash, or entries in your credit card Account, increasing your credit card liability.  The offsetting entries to cash or credit card would be your House Account where the costs were being collected.  But trying to do that now, after so many years, would entail making these "new" entries in your bank or credit card Accounts, and then entering a "balance adjustment" in those Accounts to keep your current balances (presumably correct) in those Accounts unchanged.  Too much work, to much opportunity for mistakes.
    What I'd do now if I were you would to start with the blank House Account and start entering that information into the Account with the "Category" used as the offset to each entry being the same Account into which you are making the entry: [House].  This will accumulate the costs, show who got paid how much and when, but will not affect any other Account in your Quicken file.
This discussion has been closed.