missing transactions in REPORT / TAX / SUMMARY

An account correctly displays 8 Federal and 8 State Tax Transactions.
However, in REPORTS / TAX / SUMMARY the 8 Federal Tax transactions are present but only 1 State Tax transaction.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    EUREKA - - - I was DELETING and ENTERING in the list of transactions, not using the ENTER TRANSACTIONS window. I used that window this time and the transactions are now correctly listed. However, now I am confused; the entry process did NOT ask me "IS THIS PAYMENT OF 2018 TAXES YES /NO"!!
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think that my situation is a little different. NMIS makes 3 transactions, Fed Tax, State Tax, and Net to me; the Gross is not given as a transaction. I do not rely on an automated tax assessment during the year, I only need to know that the payments are being made. At tax time I will rely on the 1099-R statements for the final number.
    That is what got my attention to start this thread, I was looking at a summary that did not include all the payments. I have the impression that the change to Q2020 changed the treatment of the NMIS transactions. It will be interesting to see how the December transactions are categorized.

Answers

• John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Additional information : All the above transactions show correctly in REPORTS / CASH FLOW BY TAG .
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Additional information : I have run the FILE / FILE OPERATIONS / VALIDATE AND REPAIR function
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a careful look at the Categories for the state tax transactions.

Do they all have the appropriate tax line items?

Are all of these Categories included in your tax summary report?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    I have verified that the CATEGORY is the same for all 8 State Tax transactions and this is validated by their appearance in the REPORTS / CASH FLOW BY TAG report
  • Jim_Harman
    Just to be sure: Are the date ranges for the two reports the same?

Also are the missing state tax transactions part of split transactions, i.e. one transaction that is split between multiple categories? In QWin Subscritpion there is a known problem with split transactions in the Sched. B report which may be present in other tax reports as well.  
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Yes, both reports [TAX SUMMARY and CASH FLOW BY TAG] are for YEAR TO DATE. No, the state tax transactions are not SPLIT TRANSACTIONS.
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Additional information - I have attached two screen shots to see if that makes the matter more apparent.
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    MY ERROR THIS IS THE CORRECT FILE
  • Jim_Harman
    Hmm... you seem to have all the bases covered.

You might try deleting and re-entering one of the missing transactions to see if somehow that fixes it. If so, repeat with the remainging 6 transactions and you are done.
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestions, but that did not correct the proble.
    At one time I seem to recall that Intuit provided corporate help desk where they took remote control of my computer and we talked in real time looking at the same screen information; am I right, if so can we reach that any more?
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    EUREKA - - - I was DELETING and ENTERING in the list of transactions, not using the ENTER TRANSACTIONS window. I used that window this time and the transactions are now correctly listed. However, now I am confused; the entry process did NOT ask me "IS THIS PAYMENT OF 2018 TAXES YES /NO"!!
  • Jim_Harman
    I am trying to duplicate the problem you are seeing.

Are you making the state tax payments from a tax deferred Traditional IRA investment account as implied by the account name in your reports? If not, what type of account is this?

What transaction are you entering for the state tax payments? Withdraw, MiscExp, or something else?

What version of Quicken are you running?

Here is what I see in QWin Subscription:
    -- The only cash transaction I can enter directly in the transaction list for an IRA account is WithdrwX, which does not let me assign a category.
    -- If I enter a state tax Withdraw transaction in an IRA using the Enter Transactions button, it does not appear in the Tax Summary report because the account is excluded from the report by default. This is by design. If I include the account in the report, I also see its dividends and capital gains, which would be incorrect.
    -- If I enter Withdraw transactions in a taxable account, they appear in the Tax Summary report whether I use the Enter Transactions button or enter them directly in the transaction list.
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    YES, it is a traditional tax deferred IRA.
    The original entries (before my manual entries using the TRANSACTIONS button) were made by electronic download from Northwestern Mutual Investment Services (NMIS) and used WITHDRAW. Note that the 11/17 entry was also an electronic download from NMIS; could that have been after a "Q 2020" version was updated and I did not notice it?
    I am using Quicken Deluxe (I think it was 2019, it now says 2020; I must have missed a notice of automatic renewal?)
    It is true that I had to modify the ACCOUNTS tab in order to see this account. I needed to see it as explained in the next item.
    I can understand why IRA should not report DIVIDEND, INTEREST, CAPITOL GAINS, and other internal transactions; however, IRA pay owners (via WithdrawX) required RMD and also as a service to those owners pay estimated taxes to both Federal and States as requested by the owners. Of course, these cannot be WithdrawX since those Federal and State accounts are not part of individual Quicken records.
    Oh what a convoluted web we live in!!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited December 2019
    Please see this FAQ article regarding the best way to record IRA distributions.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7072150/faq-best-way-to-handle-distributions-from-ira

This would require you to delete or not accept the cash transactions that NMIS is downloading and enter them as described in the FAQ. 
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think that my situation is a little different. NMIS makes 3 transactions, Fed Tax, State Tax, and Net to me; the Gross is not given as a transaction. I do not rely on an automated tax assessment during the year, I only need to know that the payments are being made. At tax time I will rely on the 1099-R statements for the final number.
    That is what got my attention to start this thread, I was looking at a summary that did not include all the payments. I have the impression that the change to Q2020 changed the treatment of the NMIS transactions. It will be interesting to see how the December transactions are categorized.
  • Jim_Harman
    So before you deleted and re-entered the transactions, the latest download from NMIS shows up correctly on the tax summary report but the earlier ones did not?

Have you recently created reminders for the NMIS transactions? If not, I can't see how Quicken would know what categories to apply to the downloaded transactions unless you entered the transactions manually before downloading or edited them afterwards and applied the categories yourself.

It would be helpful to know exactly what procedure you used to record these transactions, and if that has changed 

That said, it is possible that something has changed (apparently for the better) in QWin 2020 
  • John32
    John32 Member ✭✭
    Yes, that is my assessment; something in the downloading of NMIS IRA.... State Tax W/H transactions has changed between Oct 17,2019 and Nov 18, 2019. Apparently Fed Tax W/H has not had a change.
    I have not changed my procedure for downloading NMIS transactions. I have used OneStep Update, for sure over the last several months probably since at least May.
    For me, it is better now. REPORT / TAX / TAX SUMMARY (after manual override so as to include IRA) now agrees with CASH FLOW (at least for the transactions we have been discussing). I am reluctant to say what might have happened to transactions that we have not been focused on, :smile: .
This discussion has been closed.