How can I undo share transfer?

I moved shared between accounts however I made a mistake and transferred the shares to the wrong account. Is there an undo command?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No undo, your best option is to restore from a backup just prior to the error.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course in theory you could transfer the shares back to the original "from" Account, and then do a new transfer out from that Account to the correct Account.  But that would leave a lot entries in the "from" Account and the erroneous "to" Account.  I probably would opt for the "restore" option too, particularly if there weren't a lot of other entries in other Accounts that I'd have to re-key.
  • I have 14 years of transactions and doing a restore would negate a lot of work.

Thanks for the quick replies c
  • Tom Young
    "Out of the box" Quicken makes a backup every time you close the program.  So unless you're changed that behavior, and assuming you've done your erroneous transfer "today", you should have "yesterday's" backup to restore, meaning that one day's worth of transactions is all you're looking at to catch up.  Of course if you just caught this mistake "today" having made the transfer 2 weeks ago, that gets more difficult.
  • What would happen if i delete the “remove” transaction from the “From” account? I have 9 accounts that are moving between 2 different brokers so doing a restore will require moving the 9 accounts each having 6-9 positions and 14 years worth of transactions.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 9 accounts that are moving between 2 different brokers so doing a restore will require moving the 9 accounts each having 6-9 positions and 14 years worth of transactions.
    You are not understanding what a restore to your data file is. A backup is an exact replica of the existing data (your file) at an given point in time. When you restore a data file, you are simply reloading the file as it existed at a given point in time.
    If you make a backup now, proceed to delete every account and transaction in your data file, and then restore from the previous backup, you are left with the file as it was before. No data is lost or work needs to be done.
    Unless you are stating you have no backups, which would be highly irregular.

• Tom Young
    A transfer of shares between Accounts doesn't move 14 years of transactions.  It creates one Remove action in the "from" Account and an "Add" transaction for each lot of shares in the "to" Account.  So if that 14 years of transactions resulted in 7 lots in the "from" Account you'd see 7 Adds in the "to" Account, and that's it.
    Undoing the Remove in the "from" Account will only affect that Account.  You'd then have 7 lots of the stock in the "from" Account and the "same" 7 lots of those share in the "to" Account.
    If you want to reverse your entry you need to delete the Remove transactions and all the Add transactions associated with the Remove.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong in deleting the Remove Shares and Add Shares that we’re created by the transfer. 

If you are doing this type of massive changes you should be backing up frequently on your own to ease this type of correction. 
  • Mission accomplished...thanks for all the comments....definitely do more timely backups in the future
This discussion has been closed.