Security Detail View is slow...

Is it normal that the Security Detail view takes 25 seconds for each security to display? It was slow before, but Quicken 2019 H&B is incredibly slow! I use it mainly for investing, and yes I have done the file verfication procedure without any improvements (nor identified corruptions).

Comments

• PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    Any help you could provide would be appreciated...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's not normal. For me, Security Detail View is instantaneous. The window opens before I release the mouse button.
    Do your securities have thousands of transactions or anything that might explain the slowness?
    Have you tried File > File Operations > Copy as well as Validate? That sometimes helps.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, on my computer switching secuities in the Security Detail view takes about 1 second. 

Do other functions in Quicken take more than a few seconds?

How much RAM memory does your computer have?

Please go to Help and hold down the Ctrl key while clicking About Quicken and let us know what it says there.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, overall I find Quicken slow to load, but once on a page it is relatively interactive. Here is the about Quicken image with Control key down:
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    Here is the memory on my i5 HP laptop with Quicken loaded:
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    Just going from 1 security to the next in the detailed security view is 25-30 seconds once I click it. Nearly unusable! Could it be that Quicken is incorrectly installed? Should I consider that so-called Mondo patch? Thanks for any assistance or insight you may have. This has been plaguing me for a while.
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    to answer Rocket J Squirrel, I did a Super Validate after a copy. No errors were noted in the notepad popup.
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    apologies for all the piecemeal comments, but I also flushed all the historical stock data and had Q re-download it. That did not change anything. The actual data file is smaller now - down to 41MB. I have stock transactions back to 1998, but nothing ridiculous in terms of quantity. All entered by hand
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    PhilippeP said:
    Just going from 1 security to the next in the detailed security view is 25-30 seconds once I click it. Nearly unusable! Could it be that Quicken is incorrectly installed? Should I consider that so-called Mondo patch? Thanks for any assistance or insight you may have. This has been plaguing me for a while.
    I don't see anything amiss with your "About" data. I can't even hazard a guess why security detail view is so slow, but it couldn't hurt to download and run the Mondo patch. Or even uninstall and reinstall Quicken if you haven't tried that yet.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you storing your working data file?  Best if on a local hard drive.  Dropbox or similar are a no-no.  Flash drives can be problematic.  But I would expect any such file issue to be evident in other areas as well, not just security detail.

If you open an older backup file, do you see the issue?  No would suggest your current file has become corrupted in some difficult-to-identify manner.

If you start a new file with just a few securities, do you see the problem?  Yes would suggest your program installation is the problem.
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    OK guys, I have done quite a bit of work on this over the past hours. I installed a fresh version of Quicken Canada 2019 H&B (with updates now build 27.1.22.15) on an old desktop computer I had (bought in April 2010 at Bestbuy...) and opened a copy of the QDF Quicken File in a separate local folder (on an SSD) and.... all the speed issues are gone. I can access the detailed view in less than 3 seconds consistently - decent. The QDF file is therefore fine.

I proceeded to uninstall Quicken on my company HP laptop (i5, 8GB, SSD), and redo a clean install and update, and loaded the QDF file in a separate (local SSD) folder and I get...26-32 seconds to load. CPU is running at 10-20%, plenty of spare memory. Both are Windows 10 64-bit.

Does anybody have this problem??? what else can I do? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the looks of it, your laptop has 4 GB RAM installed, with 3.5 GB available to Windows and applications. IMHO, that's not enough for Windows 10. It's barely enough for my Windows 8.1 laptop. And, when I'm trying to run Quicken while the system is busy doing other things, I/O activity to the pagefile drives the disk to 100% busy for long periods of time and makes everything run like the freeway during rush hour ... slower than molasses on a cold New England winter day.
    While you're trying to run Quicken, keep an eye on Task Manager and check to see how busy your C:-drive is. Wait until there's little I/O activity and then try Quicken again.
    Of course, that won't resolve your issue. For that to happen, you need to install 4 GB more RAM into your laptop.
    Ask your boss to put an extra memory chip under your Christmas tree.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2019
    In the image in this post, it looks like he has 8 GB RAM to me; 4.3 in use and 3.5 available. The other 0.2 must be overhead.
    In my own experience, I eventually concluded hardware was the problem, believe it or not. I had 2 Win7 computers, each with i5 CPU, Nvidia GPU, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. Quicken ran fast on one computer and slow on the other. I was never able to determine exactly what was causing the slowness on the one machine.
    With Win7 expiring, I bought a new Win10 laptop with i7 CPU, Nvidia GPU, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. Quicken now runs fast.
    Ask your boss to put a new laptop under your tree.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the image in this post, it looks like he has 8 GB RAM to me; 4.3 in use and 3.5 available. The other 0.2 must be overhead.
    Ask your boss to put a new laptop under your tree.
    @Rocket J Squirrel and I need new glasses.
    Now the problem remains: What's making this thing bog down?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about AV software, malware software protection, or similar?  That might be pretty intensive on a corporate machine.  Might be worth noting the differences on the two setups.
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    Yes, I thought this may have been corporate AV software. However before giving up, I experimented with exporting and importing via QIF file format. There are a few bugs in the Quicken Export/Import (it duplicates some of the transfers between account), but essentially every buy and sell is there as well as every stock (about 250 of them) and.... it is now lightning fast! I can flip through detailed security views as fast as I hit the up/down arrow key! Every other aspect is also fast (going between accounts, downloading stock prices, etc...) What gives with that?! Time perhaps to get Quicken a call
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you previously saved a copy of your file, did you use File > File Operations > Copy or File > Save a copy as?

The former appears to re-create your data file, cleaning up the indexes and such and possibly giving a significant speed-up, while the latter simply copies your file.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • PhilippeP
    PhilippeP Member ✭✭
    Hello Jim, as I was not 100% sure, I tried the former and noted the speed accelerated a bit to about 18 seconds to see a security detail. I went one step further, and filtered out EVERY transaction (by selecting a window to retain transactions that is far into the future). This was confirmed in the resulting QDF account list number of transactions (zero). The result is still 18 seconds to view a security detail! Something is highlight inefficient in the remaining file...