Unable to load/restore any file to use Quicken. Keep getting Error Report popup box.

Worked with Quicken Chat yesterday and reloaded 2019 again. Quicken opens but I'm unable to restore any backup files. The Error report lists 3 files:
27.09OQ94IF7.dmp* Path: C:\user\(name)\Appdata\Local\Temp
U95522SE.xml* Path: C:\user\(name)\Appdata\Local\Temp
CONNLOG.txt Path: C:\user\(name)\Appdata\Roaming\Quicken\Log

My backups are on two separate external hard drives.
Appreciate any help to restore the accounts.
Thanks,

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Instead of trying to restore a Quicken backup, try changing the file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open the file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuck in loop with logon to Quicken.com? Quicken fails to start? Quicken won't save changes to lists or transactions? (Windows 10)

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm using Norton 360 so Windows Defender is 'inactive'. I've disabled Norton Anti-virus protection but no luck.
    I checked Norton settings and found Quicken is showing 'Allowed' within Norton.
  • Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    I've added a snapshot of the Quicken Error report if that might help.
    Quicken program opens, but no accounts listed.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    Instead of trying to restore a Quicken backup, try changing the file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open the file.
  • Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    Should I be in File Explorer when changing the name?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brett said:
    I've added a snapshot of the Quicken Error report if that might help.
    Quicken program opens, but no accounts listed.
    that is just showing the Windows Crash info - and the files holding the crash details -
    Not the cause....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    Holy Cow! It opened! I used an older backup file and renamed it in File Explorer; dbl clicked and opened 'with Quicken' and it worked.
    Thank Greg!
  • Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    The first file that will open is a 'backup' file from July. So 4 months of backups lost. I maintain 2 separate HD of backups to protect years of financial data but it does no good if it can't be restored. I'm now looking at alternatives to Quicken. Third time this has happened.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Brett said:
    Third time this has happened.
    Have you checked your hard drive(s) for errors? What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    I'm not using OneDrive, Dropbox nor Google Backup. I keep financial data inhouse as much as possible. I'll check the external drive for errors but Quicken files are the only errors/trouble spots I ever have. And it's rare, every 6 months or so I get these, "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run" error dialog boxes, which leads to this casualty.
    I keep a separate backup drive and only connect it / power it up, to backup all files, and Quicken weekly, then disconnect and put it away.
    Under Preferences, the path is F:\QuickenBackup\Backup.
  • Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    Actually the Path is C:\ users\myname\documents\Quicken.
    Many files are there and when attempting to open any .QDF, the same error box pops up.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brett ,

What happens with Quicken open, you click File to Open Quicken File and browse to the Quicken Data File, you want to open?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    I can see all the files and the backup files ready to be clicked on and opened. The file size grows on each progressing backup, over time so I certain the data is there. The most recent backup was on 14DEC19 with a file size of 83KB. But when I try to open any of the files, I get the same error messages. The first file that will open properly, without the errors, is 6 months old 7JULY19 with a file size of 69KB.
    Thanks
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried validating the Quicken data files?
  • Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    I able to validate the 6-month-old Quicken Data File but unable to validate other QDFs since they will not open because of the above listed errors.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Brett said:   The first file that will open properly, without the errors, is 6 months old 7JULY19 with a file size of 69KB.
    That seems really small - to be a normal Quicken file -

As a sample, using Qwin R23.17,
    I just did a File - New - and created a totally empty new Quicken file,
    and it is 446kb - my normal QDF file and each backup are about 150 MB -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭
    My error, that should have been MB vice KB.
    The file I’m working to restore is 88mb. It’s taking days to rebuild using bank statements, credit card statements for past 6mos. Not my original plan for the holidays.
This discussion has been closed.