I have a Category Summary report that is demonstrably missing some transactions.

I have run a year-to-date Category Summary report on one major category including all its subcategories. By searching for the same major category in two accounts, I can see that several transactions are not accounted for in the Category Summary report. Quicken is locating all transactions for the major category using search but not for generating the report. It is alarming that Quicken for Mac does not generate accurate reports. To get accurate information, I'm exporting all the transactions for the major category in question and doing my own report in Numbers. (Quicken Deluxe 2020, Version 5.13.3 (Build 513.30586.100), Mac OS 10.14.6)

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Instead of using the Category Summary report, which is an older deprecated report, try using menu Reports > Create Transaction Report. Is is much more accurate, and more flexible as well.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, unfortunately users have found missing data in the Category Summary report over the past year or so, but the developers have left it in the program even though it's replacement with a modern reporting engine has been added. I wish they would remove Category Summary from the program, or in some way inform them there's a newer, better way to get such reports, rather than leaving people struggling with bad results or, worse, not knowing their reports are wrong.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • drjackbo
    drjackbo Member ✭✭
    Yes, it's very unfortunate to retain a feature that's known to be incorrect. I only noticed the problem because a particularly large transaction was unaccounted for. If I hadn't noticed, I would have made the wrong decision about moving some funds around.
  • bugfinder
    bugfinder Member ✭✭
    I have just run into this. Using a this year filter, and then the "Income" button that appears top of the transaction page, transactions are missing. And the sum reported has nothing to do with income transactions this year. This is in no way acceptable. If it is broke, get it out of the product.
  • bugfinder
    bugfinder Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > Instead of using the Category Summary report, which is an older deprecated report, try using menu Reports > Create Transaction Report. Is is much more accurate, and more flexible as well.

When I create a transaction report with Reports, I get much the same problem. I want to create a report to include all forms of income in banking accounts, plus transfers into banking accounts from investing accounts. It has to be YTD or date range specific. Why bother with Quicken I'll just need to rely on Excel.
  • khchin
    khchin Member ✭✭
    I, too am having problems with reporting. So far I only notice it in one category, that being Mortgage. My payment is to the same payee every month with the category of "Mortgage". The report generated only includes the one payment in October for the "Mortgage" category for the year even though I had made exactly the same payments for each month during this past year. I have tried Category Summary Report and then the Transaction Report as remedy. My mortgage payments are still missing (except for October). Makes me wonder what else is missing in other categories of which transactions are not as noticed. This is not good.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The ability to handle transfers in reports was added to the Summary and Comparison reports in the current release. I think we'll probably see it added to Transaction reports in the next release.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • khchin
    khchin Member ✭✭
    Hi RickO: Thanks for the info. The only reason why my Oct mortgage payment was picked up in the category report was because it was the only payment out of the year that did NOT have an account in the transfer column. I will go thru my data and eliminate the transfer account for now. Now my reports should be cleaner as far as purposes I am concerned with.
  • Jeff Stearns
    Jeff Stearns Member ✭✭
    I also have problems with reports. Some of the bugs are easy to reproduce on my computer.

I just now created a transaction report using the menu "Reports > Create Transaction Report".

It's a very simple report with most options set to promiscuous values:
    - Transactions from all accounts.
    - Transactions from all dates.
    - Transactions from one selected category. <- this is the only non-promiscous filter
    - Transactions with any or no tag.
    - Transactions with any or no payee.
    - Advanced options set to default values.

The report should show 6 checking deposits. It shows only one. The bug is blatantly obvious.

If I go into my checking register and select one of the missing transactions, I can make it appear in the report by changing the name of the payee from "Bkofamerica Mobile" to "Joe Smith".

It turns out that the payee name "Bkofamerica Mobile" is poisonous. Transactions with payee names starting with name don't appear in reports.

THIS IS A BUG. This report SHOULD NOT BE FILTERING ON PAYEE NAME. It is configured to "Include transactions with any or no payee".

(The bug is actually a bit more complicated: Any payee whose name starts with the 18-character string "Bkofamerica Mobile" will not be included in reports. Capitalization doesn't matter.)

(As usual, attempts to report this bug meet with a brick wall at Quicken support. "Just delete your transactions and reenter them." Yeah, right. This account has 8,525 transactions.)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It's not as straightforward a bug as you think you've isolated it to be. I just tried to replicate what you're reporting as a bug, and it worked as expected.

I created a new Category called Test and a new Payee called Bkofamerica Mobile. I then created a transaction report with the only filter being Category=Test. Guess what? The Bkofamerica Mobile transaction shows up, just as it should:

So there has to be something else unique in your file that's causing the transactions you're expecting to show up to not show up. Can you possibly post some screenshots of the transactions in a register and then absent from the report?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jeff Stearns
    Jeff Stearns Member ✭✭
    [Editing after posting is currently broken, so I'll add this comment here.]

Of course, there may be other poisonous names that I haven't yet discovered.
This discussion has been closed.