"0" shares available to sell when that is not the case...How do I correct?

rrlapides
rrlapides Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Trying to sell all shares of an investment in an investment account and each time message says "0" shares available. I have even tried "Sell all shares" and I get the same message.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the account for Placeholders which may be affecting your share balance? These are hidden by default, further confusing the issue. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Thank you. Placeholder entries not related to these Holdings. But deleted anyway. However it finally took the transactions when I entered them individually as opposed to where you can enter a transaction and then go on to the next
  • rrlapides
    rrlapides Member
    Answer ✓
    Yes...but issue only occurred when selling all....whether checking the sell all box or inputting the actual number of shares.
  • Jim_Harman
    Are you sure you are selling the correct security? Maybe you have a similarly named but hidden security in your Security list and you actually don't have any shares of that seurity.
  • I'm sure...been using Q for years...but finally worked doing individually...just took me longer...thank you
  • Jim_Harman
    The problem being related to Enter/New is really weird and I do not see it in a test file.

Have you seen it with more than one security?

You might try setting up a little test file and seeing if it happens there.

What version of Quicken are you running?
  • 2019 Premier.
    Happened on more than one stock. finally tried chat and community the only suggestion being placeholders. Restarted the computer. Still the same issue but for some reason decided to try it individually and it worked. Don't remember this happening before but can't remember selling all since I've been on this version of Quicken
  • Jim_Harman
    Out of curiosity, does this account have a linked checking account? See this post for another problem related to Enter/New
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856875/cash-account-not-updated-when-multiple-securities-are-sold#latest
  • No...nothing is linked.
This discussion has been closed.