Quicken downloads Praxair dividends after Praxair and Linde merged to become LIN. How do I fix it?

Quicken downloads Praxair dividends after Praxair and Linde merged to become LIN. How do I fix it?

Best Answer

Answers

• garymc98
    garymc98 Member ✭✭
    I've been replacing the stock name manually each time, but got to thinking that's not what I pay for a subscription to Quicken to do. I had one reinvested dividend in Dec. 2018 and the rest have been cash. I can't remember if I had to edit that reinvested dividend manually or not. I suspect you're right about the broker. TDAmeritrade shows the correct name in my account with them, though.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See this discussion for further info on that merger: 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7812195/details-on-the-merger-of-linde-and-praxair

You might be able to get away with renaming your Praxair to Linde, PLC within Quicken.  Backup First.  Then Edit the security details to change the Security Name, Change the ticker (keep the price history data), and uncheck the box box as Matched to Online Security.  At the next opportunity, Quicken will offer to match the brokerage reported Praxair to you Quicken security.  Make sure it matches to this renamed security (should be an easy, clean match).  Taking that rename route, all your old Praxiar transactions in Quicken will now read as Linde, PLC transactions.  You might want to add a reminder transaction that on this date, you did that rename.  The rename also will not get the cost basis correct (see other discussion).

If you have further questions, I suggest you add on to that other discussion so that comments are consolidated in one place.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    garymc98 said:
    I've been replacing the stock name manually each time, but got to thinking that's not what I pay for a subscription to Quicken to do.
    You REALLY don't want Q to change data that's downloaded from your bank/card/broker/etc UNLESS you've created a Renaming Rule to instruct Q to do so.
    BUT, since there are no Renaming  Rules in Investment accounts ONLY your brokerage can correct this by sending the correct security name.
    Bug Them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.