Something wrong with Performance Report for one Account

Hello: I have one account where the investment performance report seems to be adding dollars into the account on one day in 2019 (6/28/2019). The account returns line approximately doubles on this day. The IRR is 576.42% when checking against 1/1/2019 - 6/28/2019 but the IRR is 20.63% if I run the report to 6/27/2019 instead. Additionally, when I expand the report to subtotal by security, the individual securities appear to have appropriate IRRs for these respective time periods & the dollars invested add up correctly. I have only one transaction in the register for this account on 6/28/2019 and that is a simple div reinvest for the base MM account @ about $1.00 . I can't figure it out. Any help?

Additionally, the account $ totals are correct in the account view, as well as when I dig down by security - it appears only the Performance Report is incorrectly adding a highly significant amount of money to this account on a specific day.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try deleting and re-entering the Reinvest transaction that seems to be causing the problem.

Also make sure there are no hidden Placeholders that are affecting things. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Primatarus1
    Primatarus1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the speedy response, unfortunately, neither attempt at deleting or viewing hidden transactions appeared to impact the issue.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, have you tried File > File operations > Validate and Repair and select the Validate file option.
  • Primatarus1
    Primatarus1 Member ✭✭
    You bet, that was about one of the first things I tried. No luck.
  • Jim_Harman
    If you look at the Investment Performance report with all securities and just that account selected, is there anything weird on that date?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the problem isn't that the "End Mkt Val" is incorrect on 6/28/19, it's that there's a "return" number on that date that's hugely inflated?  And this occurs any time you run a Performance Report that includes that date?
    That does seem like a data problem.  Have you tried running the report one security at a time to see if that overstatement is related to any one security?
  • Primatarus1
    Primatarus1 Member ✭✭
    Jim: No entries on that date when looking at InvPort report with all securities selected and just that account.
    Tom: Yes, it appears as an inflated returm at any time I run the report with an end date of 6/28/2019 or later. WIth an end date of 6/27/2019 it is correct. I'll try each security separately, right now.
  • Primatarus1
    Primatarus1 Member ✭✭
    Ran the report separately on the securities and they all looked correct without any inflated returns or sky high IRRs. Will keep looking and perhaps try to move/copy all transaction prior to the date in question (6/28/2019) and then all transactions after that date to a new temp account of the same type and see what happens (after ensuring backups of course).
  • Primatarus1
    Primatarus1 Member ✭✭
    I tried moving all transactions prior to 6/28/2019 (i.e. begin to 6/27/2019) to a temp file and they all seemed to move correctly based on Total Value. Then I ran the Perf Report for the temp account and it was the same as before - highly inflated return for 1/1/2019 to 6/28/2019 but not for 1/1/2019 to 6/27/2019.
  • Primatarus1
    Primatarus1 Member ✭✭
    OK: So, when I select only the securities in this account and run the performance report, it presents the correct information in total as well as individually. It appears that the when looking at the Investing tab Performance Average Annual Return graphic for All Accounts this specific Account is associating some return from another security in my Security List(??) and thus giving the inflated return. I will delve further into it and see if I can find it. Thanks for all the help so far.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited December 2019
    The Portfolio views exclude any securities you no longer hold unless you check the .show closed lots option.

Also be sure to include No Security (includes cash) in your security selections to avoid weird results.

Try looking at the Reports > Investing > Investment Performance report. If you customize that to include just the problem account then subtotal by security you may be able to find any problem securities.
This discussion has been closed.