Starting a new year

Been using Quicken 2017 continuously and would like to save 2017 - 2019 data and start fresh data files in 2020.
Not sure how to start files with current balances and store past data in an archived file. Need some help.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHY?  In your reports you can easily specify the time span to be used in the report .... and file size has almost nothing to do with Q/s performance.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mrchips - I have the same question. I was also using 2017 and following the instructions from the Quicken help pages https://www.quicken.com/support/archive-quicken-info-end-year that detail how to start a new year file. The instructions did not work. I did some more Google searching and found some hits that indicated a new ""Start New Year" command that is supposed to be present under File -> File Operations-> Year End Copy. So, I bit the bullet and bought the new subscription version. Im now using Home, Business, and Rental Property version 2020 R23.18 Build 27.123.18 and the new option is not present. Of course, support is not available today

To "NotACAPA" - why does it matter that both mrchips and I want to start a new year file? Maybe its just because we want to. You are listed as being a "SuperUser" - but in this instance, I dont see much Super. Instead of questioning someone's motives - why not make an attempt to answering the question that was asked ?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY frequently we see on this forum requests from people who believe that starting a new file will improve Q's performance.  It doesn't, because file size has almost nothing to do with Q. performance.
    Starting a new file WILL, however, prevent you from running comparison reports (how much did I spend on ___ this year compared to the last 1 or 2 or 3 years).
    It was a legitimate question, and I didn't question motives ... I just tried to determine what those motives ARE.  In almost all cases, there's a better answer than a new file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, once you split a Quicken data file into separate parts, it's very difficult to put back together again.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    noname12345 said:
    To "NotACAPA" - why does it matter that both mrchips and I want to start a new year file? Maybe its just because we want to. You are listed as being a "SuperUser" - but in this instance, I dont see much Super. Instead of questioning someone's motives - why not make an attempt to answering the question that was asked ?
    As mentioned - a lot of times the reason is bogus - I want Q to run faster, so I will delete decades of data to make the Q file smaller .... NO CHANGE -
    Not sure why anyone from Quicken would ever suggest or publish info on why this might be a good idea for users at the end of a year.....
    And, as mentioned - WHY - you might lose all the historical data, Reports, Category list, Security List, Payee List, etc - you are just burning your Quicken filing cabinet, so it begs the question... what do you think you will gain -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.